Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1795 times)

Mullein

• Not So New ...
    • Hedgerow Hippy
Hello!
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:57:01 »
Hi,

i thought I'd better introduce myself. I'm a cuckoo gardener from Scotland. That is - I garden in bits and pieces in other peoples gardens. A very kind neighbour has offered me a plot in the corner of his garden which is great - except its quite damp and shady. I can definitely do something with it but I don't think i'll be able to grow veg which i really want to do. However, I also have a plan to get some other unfortunate gardenless souls together and organise community gardens or allotments. That might be a bit of a long haul though and in the meantime I'll continue to scrape myself little bits and pieces of land to grow things in. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all...

Claire

Toker5000

• Not So New ...
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:58:13 »
Hello to you,

chris

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 17:27:48 »
Hiya, chris, claire..welcome to a4a  ;D
I'm sure there must be some veggies you could grow  :)
sorry, it's been a looooong day  ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 18:16:20 by manicscousers »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 17:39:32 »
Hi CLAIRE (manics take note ;)). Welcome to A4a. Good luck woth your community gardens- ask away if there's anythingyou need to know, there are some real experts here (not me!)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 17:41:07 »
Hi Claire,
Welcome to A4A.
I had to smile at 'cuckoo gardener' - it's a really good description  :)
Good luck with your plans, let us know how you get on.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 18:03:27 »
Hello Clair and welcome. We are generall a good bunch so enjoy yourself here.  ;D

It sounds a great idea to use other peoples unwanted gardens. Good luck with it.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 18:07:21 »
  Hi Claire,    you are truly intrepid in your ventures and I wish you all the very best,      

let us know how you are doing and what you are up to ---   if you get the time,       ;D

Have a grandson called Scott , he is very intrepid too   ---  ancesters are Scots so must

be something to do with it !     ::)

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

Mullein

• Not So New ...
    • Hedgerow Hippy
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:02:27 »
Thank you all for a lovely welcome.

The sun is shining in Scotland today so I'm torn between getting out whilst its dry and gleaning pearls of wisdom by reading through the back posts...

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 13:25:48 »
 i like concept of cuckoo gardener!!!

it has positive connotation and could be a wonderful community based programme - i like it because we are trying to get our local village growing things and savour the delights and positive health benefits of growing and eating your own produce.

i'd like to pick you brains on how this works - and  your idea might well fit in with our aspirations

will you share your insights

dax

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 13:50:57 »
Hello to you.

Sounds a good plan ias you do not have any allotments available, though does not have that same community spirit so hope you can get some of that here.  I'd get out and enjoy the sun, you can look back here when it is raining.

Shade seem to be a problem in gardens., what with trees bushes and houses.  I like the concept but not sure you are really being a cuckoo.  Afterall they tip out the incumbent eggs and get the surrogate parents to do all the work feeding them.  But its a catchy title hopefully it will catch on.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 14:30:18 »
Welcome to A4A

Mullein

• Not So New ...
    • Hedgerow Hippy
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 14:50:18 »
Hi folks,

I basically just look around for garden space or land that isn't being used... It's a bit like guerilla gardening but less radical! I ask permission and have been known to pay! Its a perilous type of gardening really - never sure how much effort or cash to devote to it. It does make for resourceful thinking though  - you learn to use what you have around or what you can get for free. There's also the danger that someone is happy for you to use their garden space because they are selling - you do all the hard work but don't get to enjoy the fruits of your labour... (kind of the opposite of the cuckoo then really!)
Still, its better than nothing. At the moment I'm utilising the pavement outside the house mainly for pretty things and experiments but I have been known to grow peas and beans and carrots there and my strawberries were a big hit with the school kids this year. I have also scraped a small space at the back of the village shop where I am growing tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, beetroot and a variety of herbs - its quieter and cleaner than the street and it gives me a space to sit out in relative privacy. And then there's the neighbour down the road...
I have also helped the 'in bloom' people in the past but I've been busy finishing a degree so haven't really got that involved this year  - maybe next year...
Or maybe next year I'll be busy organising allotments - who knows! In the meantime, I look forward to joining in the community spirit here.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 16:32:31 »
Welcome to the forum Claire
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 16:52:16 »
Well Claire you sound Cuckoo, so you should fit in here great, welcome to the club.     :P      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 22:02:03 »
Welcome claire, what you are doing sound really great, and a little bit bonkers, Kevs right you will fit in just fine  ;D  ;D  :)

Lushy x

Make mine a large one!

Mullein

• Not So New ...
    • Hedgerow Hippy
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 17:01:04 »
 ;D
thanks guys!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal