Author Topic: Tesco allotments  (Read 3467 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Tesco allotments
« on: August 04, 2009, 17:45:53 »
 :o
wrong link..read an article today about Tescos dobbies branches, they're opening allotments and will be selling chickens and chicks..will try to find the proper link
found it http://www.brandrepublic.com/BrandRepublicNews/News/922872/Tesco-seeks-permission-offer-allotments-cash-strapped-consumers/?DCMP=EMC-DailyNewsBulletin
 :o
this is more like them
http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/local-news/125482-tesco-allotments-plan-hypocrisy-say-campaigners.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 18:06:50 by manicscousers »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Tesco allotments
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 20:53:05 »
Wonder how much rent they will be charging, and where they will get their chickens from- Hugh FW,maybe? ;D

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 21:20:12 »
you might get clubcard points........................
Jackie

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 21:40:29 »
It's probably not a bad use of their massive land bank... and great PR for one of the worst offenders in terms of how we treat food here... Sometimes I think that Tesco, rather than being a villain, is more like a symptom of how we value food & the environment. As long as it's cheap, we just don't care...

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 21:52:42 »
you might get clubcard points........................

You don't in Dobbies stores, although for the 'bargain' price of £12 per annum you can pay to get 10% off selected purchases.  :P

I live less than 2 miles from Dobbies HQ, there are effectively no lotties within our council area (there is one, but out in the sticks, and the waiting list was closed when it reached a decade... ), yet they seem intent on selling off the 'surplus' land adjacent to their nursery to developers... Draw your own conclusions.

As for the chickens, my first thought was would HFW approve. *shifty eyes*

(Edit: I can't spell.  ::) )
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 22:01:25 by sholls »

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 23:54:43 »
check out this guys blog on the topic, according to him everything is not as it seems.

http://londonvegetablegarden.blogspot.com/2009/08/every-little-helps-or-does-it.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:24:53 »
I wonder what's likely to happen when Tesco decide to expand the store!

talula

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 16:06:11 »
'there are effectively no lotties within our council area...'

Just joined this group so maybe you've covered this BUT I'm pretty sure that councils have a legal obligation to provide allotments?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 16:43:53 »
Just joined this group so maybe you've covered this BUT I'm pretty sure that councils have a legal obligation to provide allotments?

No.  If 6 people get together and make a request for allotments, a council is obliged to consider the request.  That's all.  No timescale for their deliberations and no obligation to grant the request.

Welcome to A4A!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal