Author Topic: koi carp  (Read 6988 times)

aggie

• Half Acre
koi carp
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:51:50 »
can anyone help me, some of my koi carp have one or two black spots on them. they seen quite healthy and are eating well. One large koi has had this black spot for about 18months, So did not take much notice but now some of the other kio have a spot on them. The goldfish do not seem affected.  I'm just worried that all of a sudden something  awful will happen. Does anyone know what this is ???? and is it treatable?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: koi carp
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:12:42 »
How old are your carp cos they do tend to change colour as they grow. We have bought fish for their lovely red colour only to finish up with a red black and white. Still lovely though
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:13:27 »
Morning Aggie, we keep koi and last year they had carp pox but i've just looked it up and the spots are "greasy"white.The breeder we bought all our fish from was very helpful as we are complete novices with koi.He has a website with a forum just like A4 if you google Koi UK you could try there.
ps do your koi have names?
sanity is overated

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:40:13 »
Good morning MacMac

Thankyou for your advice on my koi I will google koi uk to see if they can throw any light on the subject. I have quite a few koi so not named all of them. One is a beautiful silver which really shimmers in the sun, so i call her Akiko which means Sparkle in Japanese. another called King Kong which is really huge the grandchildren named him.

Thanks for the advice once again

Aggie.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 12:04:21 »
Good morning MacMac

Thankyou for your advice on my koi I will google koi uk to see if they can throw any light on the subject. I have quite a few koi so not named all of them. One is a beautiful silver which really shimmers in the sun, so i call her Akiko which means Sparkle in Japanese. another called King Kong which is really huge the grandchildren named him.

Thanks for the advice once again

Aggie.
Hi Aggie,I can't resist it...we've got 13 koi
Sumo-she's a big girl,Kevin(the koi),Aerial(little mermaid but she's a he),Rocky ::),Shirley(as Bassey brown and sparkly),Lance(as Lancelot-chain mail)Gorby(russian president-red mark on head)Dot because er dot!,Gem and Mini-(the twins)Trevor ::)Spider ::)and lastly Biggins(as Christopher-friendly chap who gets on with everyone)
in my defence when i'm not gardening i've got a lot of time on my hands ;)
sanity is overated

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 17:04:17 »
Oh very good Mac, I'll have to get my thinking cap on and name the other 33 any suggestions?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 17:24:02 »
Oh very good Mac, I'll have to get my thinking cap on and name the other 33 any suggestions?
Blimey 33 How big are they? :o
sanity is overated

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 13:04:39 »
they range from about 12inches to 3to4inches I have a couple of ghost koi at about 13/14inches. I bought them all small and have watched them grow.You get quite attatched to them dont you. I feed them at the same time most days and they are always waiting for their food.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 13:55:13 »
Our biggest Sumo is about 21/22" our friend who's a fisherman says she weighs about 13lbs,don't worry we confiscate his rod when he visits,the rest range from18" down to little spider who's about 9".I'm feeding them peas at the moment and we're all looking forward to the sweetcorn ripening
sanity is overated

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:07 »
Black spots on koi could be, as has already been suggested just the black (sumi) colour coming through or it could be anchor worm but this very much depends on the size of the spots.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 09:30:11 »
Black spots on koi could be, as has already been suggested just the black (sumi) colour coming through or it could be anchor worm but this very much depends on the size of the spots.
Our koi did have anchor worm but originally you could see a dart like protusion.
sanity is overated

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 08:49:44 »
Thanks Ishard and Mac.

I did not see anything until the spots appeared some are large which has appeared on the largest koi and on the small koi just a small spot. They appaer to have just the one spot on each. They seem OK as i said the large koi has had it for about 18 mths. They are feeding very well, hungry lot! Its definitely not colour change. Its not on all the koi just a few. If it is anchor worm is it treatable?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 10:33:23 »
Aggie as I said our koi did have anchor worm but it didn't look like a spot if you google it on images or even koi diseases on images you might see what your looking for.We sneakily managed to obtain something called dimilin which I don't believe is licensed over here and it worked.The guy we buy our fish from Maurice Cox at Koi UK is a great source of help and reassurance to us and often says if the're happy and they're feeding "don't stress" :)
sanity is overated

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 18:39:04 »
Thanks again Mac,

I will goggle it, but as you said if they are happy and feeding perhaps I'm worrying to much.I'll let you know how i get on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal