Author Topic: Zero cost plant support  (Read 8694 times)

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
Re: Zero cost plant support
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 10:59:26 »
Great idea Euronerd- how did you fasten the pieces of hose on ? screws or small bolts?

greensausage

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 11:15:33 »
Looks to me like they are nailed on.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 13:09:09 »
screws and washer? That'd be easy to do 8)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 15:35:19 »
Great design and now it's got me thinking...

If you're putting a pot on top then it would work just as well with the hose bits screwed into a square or triangle cut from cheap builders' ply (which can stand the wet).

I will even be sticking some thick twigs into hose bits and using them as cane extenders on wigwams - I'm fed up of losing a foot off every cane every year - a sacrificial ground-end is just what I need!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 12:31:53 »
Sorry for the delay. I used short screws and large washers (Keep this to yourselves but I drilled holes in 1p coins). It stops the hose from tearing out when a particularly healthy plant puts a lot of stress on it.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 19:17:59 »
If you need to put some plastic around I have been using clothes pegs to fasten it on to the canes to keep the plastic (or fleece) in place. Just did it with a load of runner beans and some second hand bubble wrap.

It is working for me.

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 15:16:04 »
you should apply for a paten pending. bling it up abit and a kit has gotta be worth at least a £10  a pop at a garden centre
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 20:24:45 »
I used to think about that after I'd concocted something I thought was brilliant, but people I've talked to say you need copious amounts of time and an endless supply of money when you start thinking about patents. There must be dozens of things we've all knocked together as a quick and cheap solution for a particular problem, using things we have to hand. The activity even has a name - bricolage.  ;D
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 21:41:20 »
well done euronerd, and welcome Wilder!!
You couldn't make it up!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 23:22:32 »
.... There must be dozens of things we've all knocked together as a quick and cheap solution for a particular problem, using things we have to hand. The activity even has a name - bricolage.  ;D

Erm, isn't bricolage the French word for DIY? Sure I've seen it on shop signs in France  ;D

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 09:40:55 »
You're right jennym - but I'm right too  8) It has a few definitions, one of which goes: "a construction made of whatever materials are at hand; something created from a variety of available things." Bricoler translates as "to putter" or potter. Anyway I like the idea that me playing around with bits of scrap iron and timber on the allotment actually has a name. Gives it some sort of legitimacy don't you think?  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal