Author Topic: I suspect mice  (Read 778 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
I suspect mice
« on: August 07, 2009, 16:26:33 »
My  cabbages have been eaten - in quite big chunks. Not a caterpiller in sight and they are netted against the birds. Could this be mice/rats (presume if so they get under netting and up sides of raised beds)?
If so do I need to worry about the diseases they might leave (as you dont cook cabbage for long).
thanks for any advice

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: I suspect mice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 16:37:25 »
Are you sure it's not slug damage?
Regardless - a good wash should take care of any nasties. I wash pretty much everything after a rather unfortunate overeating of cherries straight from the tree resulted in ..well I leave that to the imagination!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 17:15:02 »
I really didn't think mice were all that interested in cabbages  :o

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 19:05:05 »
Oh - maybe slugs then but just didnt look like the damage I've seen slugs do elsewhere. Out with the organic slug pellets again!
Thanks

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 19:06:18 »
I would suspect voles(mice with short tails). There has been an explosion in vole numbers on our allotments in recent years. Last year, all my cauliflowers and kale, had their growing hearts eaten out by voles, even though they were covered in small mesh netting.
For this year, I have a constant trapping and baiting program for mice and voles, killing several each week. Not one case of damage by voles.
They are also devils at eating through the growing stems of french beans and runner beans about 75mm above ground.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal