Author Topic: Holey Sprouts  (Read 753 times)

chippy queen

• Quarter Acre
Holey Sprouts
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:19 »
Hi, Just been up the lottie and my Sprouts, which are about 3' high with sprouts forming on the stems have holes all in the leaves.  Obviously something has gotten in/under my netting and is devouring them, along with my broccolli which is planted further along the bed.  I have a few skeleton plants left of them.  Is there anything I can do about this and does anyone know what may be causing this.  Help please. Jacky

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Holey Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:54:23 »
If your netting isn't secured properly all round, birds may get in and they will strip brassicas.  If there is nowhere obvious that birds could have got in then it's most likely cabbage white caterpillars.  If you are using normal open mesh netting, it won't keep the butterflies out.  You need close weave protection like scaffold netting or enviromesh tightly secured all round.  If you install something like that and get rid of the existing caterpillars, you may be able to save your crop.  You can try searching for the caterpillars and squishing them but you're unlikely to get them all.  If you don't mind spraying, use one of the commonly available bug sprays.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Holey Sprouts
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 18:25:46 »
To echo (mostly) what Ceres said - with slugs as an outside contender. I reckon cabbage whites are most likely though, and I have always found that you can remove enough to keep the plants happy. I use an old toothbrush and a glass with fairy liquid & water to swish them off the toothbrush... they will drown in the glass which saves on squishing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal