Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?  (Read 261861 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?
« Reply #1640 on: July 20, 2013, 19:10:44 »
Today I ate lots of things from other a4aers allotments, lovely cherries, quiches made with yummy veg, special courgette salad,and took home lots of fabulous seed varieties to try.
Happy day
x Sunloving

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1641 on: July 22, 2013, 22:41:29 »
Picked (and ate) several very nice raspberries.

Also came back with some gooseberries (Which I didn't eat as I can't stand them, the wife loves them though!) and a carrier bag full of garlic.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1642 on: July 22, 2013, 22:49:17 »
Made some pea and courgette soup, so had to try some.  Froze the rest. Picked some gooseberries and made some chutney.  Dropped a bottle of wine vinegar in the shop whilst searching for mustard seeds and it smashed, but nice man didn't make me pay for it. Might try the chutney with some bread and cheese, as the soup filled me up and it is too hot to eat.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #1643 on: July 22, 2013, 23:02:56 »
Picked more Green Gooseys and munched on loads,made a Goosy and Horseradish sauce for tomorrows Mackeral Lunch.
Dug dome more Tatters,snipped some Rocket And mixed leaves for lunch.
The GH and Polly are now producing a few more red tommies of all varieties for the table.
Snaffled a few raspberries along the way too....yum.

Gazza

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #1644 on: July 23, 2013, 09:03:38 »
My first tomato!!!! OK it is only about 2 inches across and doesn't look that great but it means that the others will swiftly follow! The plants are all bearing fruit.
Last night I made sauteed courgettes and patty pan squash from the garden with my onion red onion and garlic and tarragon that the neighbour kindly gave me. And a crustless quiche with swiss chard and perpetual spinach from the garden too.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #1645 on: July 23, 2013, 09:19:17 »
meant to say,enjoyed your blog antipodes,the piccies of your veggie efforts are great.

Always rewarding when the 1st Tommy shows its shiny red head,im panicking that the stormy rain might induce blight to our Tommies,hope not otherwise we,ll end up with tonnes of green chutney again,your quiche sounds interesting cant recall making a crustless,bet that's tasty....Jude would like it too as she cant tolerate pastry in any quantity as it gives her horrid indigestion.

Gazza

Mrs_m

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1646 on: July 23, 2013, 22:39:18 »
Evening all,
Today for breakfast we had the first tasting of the strawberry jam my daughter and I made a couple of days ago. Sadly the strawberries weren't ours, they were dontat ed by a fellow 'lottie' holder in exchange for a lettuce and 3 courgettes! For lunch we had ham salad sangers using our beetroot, mini cucumbers, lettuce and spring onions. Yum yum!
All we need now are a few chicken/pigs and we'll be totally self sufficient!
Mrs M x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1647 on: July 24, 2013, 07:06:39 »
Hiya, Mrs M, welcome to the house of fun  :toothy10: :wave:
As I'd made lavender shortbread , calendula scones and an edible flower salad for the judges, we were all eating them after they went. Brought home lovely carrots, head of calabrese, courgettes, colossus peas, charlotte spuds for jackets and a punnet of raspberries, so blessed  :happy7:

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #1648 on: July 24, 2013, 11:02:07 »
meant to say,enjoyed your blog antipodes,the piccies of your veggie efforts are great.
your quiche sounds interesting cant recall making a crustless,bet that's tasty....Jude would like it too as she cant tolerate pastry in any quantity as it gives her horrid indigestion.

Gazza

Thanks Gazza! That's kind.
As for the crustless quiche, you can make a lot of varieties of that always with the same basic idea - prepare the veg then pour the thick batter over it. You can make it with well drained tomatoes, courgettes, etc, tuna and sweet corn, I have even made one with pears or apples, bacon and a strong cheese which is also really tasty. I said a cup of milk in the recipe but it's more like half a pint.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1649 on: July 25, 2013, 09:34:58 »
Pulled up the rest of the garlic and some Maris Pipers.

Then returned home to find that the wife had cooked pork in gooseberry sauce with the gooseberries I picked the other day; have to say it was lovely (May be converted to gooseberries yet!)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1650 on: August 04, 2013, 18:16:28 »
Spuds, peas, cabbage and carrots.      :icon_cheers:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1651 on: August 04, 2013, 18:50:09 »
Toast and gooseberry jam for breakfast.  Gooseberries from the allotment, I netted mine.  Shepherds pie tonight, with pots, spinach, french beans, curly kale from the allotment.  Well the spinach was a gift from allotment friend, but did manage to get rid of (give) 3 courgettes in return as his courgettes have turned into pumpkins.  Thought I was the only person that didn't label plants.  :sunny:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1652 on: August 04, 2013, 22:37:56 »
Since the garden has been alternatively soaked and baked the weeds which were non existent a few weeks ago seam to recognize i had taken my eye off the ball to hibernate inside and decided to go a little mad!

So today i have dug back up my brassicas and repotted them for a short time and i have started to dig the bed over again. Will be finishing it off tomorrow then covering in membrane and wood chips and replanting in a few days. So far filled 2 brown sacks of weeds and unwanted parsnips and beetroot which are all growing in the wrong place and will prob fill another one with general tidying.

(dont worry i did harvest quite a bit of the larger beetroot and parsnips and roasted them tonight :) both quite woody so the rest of the crop not worth saving.

Walkin greenhouse is going to be pulled out next week so that i can tackle the ants nest had 14 bites in last few weeks going in there and they are causing quite a bit of damage to the seedlings in there so going to pack the greenhouse away and pop it back up next year when i need it.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #1653 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:44 »
Over the weekend we ate:
homemade rhubarb+gooseberry jam,
risotto that included my yellow patty pan squash, onions, garlic and herbs from lotty
salad with lotty cucumber, lettuce (last of the present batch), wild salad herbs, mint, the first few ripe tomatoes

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1654 on: August 06, 2013, 07:30:10 »
Still eating the mayan gold spuds, various tomatoes, garlic and salads we brought with us but they will run out today . Still, we have picalilli, elderflower and gooseberry jam and the last of last years strawwberry jam still going. We're going to have to find some home growers here in cornwall to Buy our fruit and veggies from and, as there are 13 of us, that's a lot of sttuff :toothy10:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1655 on: August 13, 2013, 17:57:03 »
Our cherries are now finished for another year.. but the gages have started. Mulberries and autumn rasps to graze, lots of tomatoes and cucs...  :wave:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1656 on: August 13, 2013, 18:36:34 »
Blackberry and apple pudding is boiling away.  It may be a complete disaster, but my Mum could make it.  Will let you know later, either brilliant or in the bin.  Hard work all this topping up the saucepan, but no microwaves in the old days.  Maybe steak and kidney pudding tomorrow.  More news on it later.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #1657 on: August 23, 2013, 11:23:47 »
Some rather nice striped yellow courgettes, first time I've grown them (from PoD I think) made a yummy curry....... :happy7:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

lady_bug

• Not So New ...
  • Lazing on a sunny afternoon
« Reply #1658 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52:53 »
A cucumber..but not from our allotment as they're not ready yet.. the lovely bloke next to us gave it to us as he had had a glut of them. First time either of us had ever had a homegrown one.. can't wait for ours to be ready to pick now.
Conquering the jungle, one weed at a time

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #1659 on: September 02, 2013, 16:48:29 »
Further on the cucumber front, I never thought I would eat (and enjoy) cucumbers which looked to be overripe, but the boys and I ate some overgrown Miniature Whites and Boothby's Blondes at lunchtime, having come back from our hols yesterday to find them looking rather yellow.  Who is it who says BB's are like eating apples?  They are right - almost sweet and the skin barely resisted the knife.  Wonderful!  :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal