Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?  (Read 265248 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?
« Reply #1420 on: June 16, 2012, 22:56:20 »
Some shallots (pulled from the middle as I don't want crooked ones for the late summer show  ;)) in a chicken casserole.........it's nearing mid-summer's day and we are eating winter food  ::)

Ninny

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #1421 on: June 16, 2012, 23:03:34 »
Nowt !!
We had pizza made with tinned toms,bought garlic,bought onions I'm so sick of this "summer"  >:( :( :( :(
sanity is overated

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #1422 on: June 17, 2012, 09:01:37 »
lettuce, lettuce and more lettuce (loves the rain). Also rhubarb! Most things are not ready yet (boo). Have been quite creative with the rhubarb though. For breakfast yesterday made a sweet omlette with rhubarb. For tea we had chicken tikka salad with a rhubarb yoghurt dressing,

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1423 on: June 17, 2012, 10:41:48 »
Onions in my spag bol.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #1424 on: June 17, 2012, 11:05:51 »
lettuce, shallots, potatoes, dill, mint, hispi cabbage, strawberries, rhubarb

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1425 on: June 17, 2012, 19:46:27 »
New spuds, mint and cabbage with my roast chicken and yorkshires.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

persecuted unlimited

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #1426 on: June 17, 2012, 19:53:00 »
pointed cabbage and cauliflower with my bought spuds and pork

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #1427 on: June 17, 2012, 20:02:26 »
Garlic, lettuce, radish, chives :)

donnythistle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1428 on: June 17, 2012, 20:44:57 »
Raspberries, only 4 but they were ready and radish.
life has new meaning since i became an allotmenter:)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #1429 on: June 17, 2012, 22:49:24 »
Colcannon and pheasant (not from the plot!!)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #1430 on: June 18, 2012, 00:07:35 »
Mange tout,courgette (very small) new potatoes,and two spears of asparagus (which have been rubbish this year) spring cabbage.
That was lunch with frozen turkey in gravy and lovely lettuce (little gem) in a sandwich for suppper
sanity is overated

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #1431 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:12 »
Pathetically small potatoes, nice bagful of mangetouts (yellow, green and purple), some asparagus (growing really slowly and reluctantly) gorgeous overwintering onion and shallots and garlic, elephant garlic scapes chopped into everything, goji berry leaves mixed with spinach beet, big fat lettuce, strawberries (also pathetic), various herbs - not all at once.....and elderflower cordial.

Very strange year.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #1432 on: June 19, 2012, 13:26:14 »
We have been eating this week: rhubarb, early spuds (delicious!), fresh peas in a lamb stew, green garlic, the first red onions (sacrificed a few for salads! as they are not quite ready), loads of lettuce, mizuna, rocket, mint in teas, lemon thyme.
Strawberries are rubbish, raspberries not ready yet. However the artichokes are almost ready for picking! So far there are about 8 growing and more to come!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #1433 on: June 19, 2012, 21:24:15 »
The first harvest of broadbeans this year (delicious and tender) and another lot of very lovely strawberries.  :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #1434 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:43 »
Been away for a few days and came back to a load of strawbs... and my old faithful onions that I pull green and eat same day with white sauce.. I pull the ones that start to seed so no waste..

I had a lady neighbour put her head over the gate the other day saying "You do realise you'll need another freezer for all the veg" yes I replied and blow me down when I got home a neighbour who is moving to another town down yonder popped over and asked If I knew anyone wanting a small freezer... guess what I said.. then snapped it up, gave it a clean and it's now in the garage with my first surplus strawbs in!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #1435 on: June 22, 2012, 21:52:20 »
potatoes
cabbage
garlic
carrots
strawberries
rhubarb
lettuce

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #1436 on: June 22, 2012, 22:40:13 »
Sadly only garlic tonight, in one of our favourite Reader's Digest 1976 tenderloin pork and mushroom with rice meals.

There is more of a gardening connection as well. No dry sherry in the house but I won a bottle of Madeira wine at our local horty society raffles many months ago so opened that (I got hubby to check how long it lasts once opened and one year) so can see that going into many more recipes before it goes off.

Ninny

PS. I took a photo of the recipe and then read the small print - no reproduction allowed even way back then.  :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #1437 on: June 27, 2012, 16:44:55 »
Doing well today. 2 Courgettes, broadbeans, mangetout, calabrese, new potatoes and Parsley and parsnip thinnings(fried). unfortunately boughten carrots.  Redcurrants, strawberries and the first few raspberries.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #1438 on: June 27, 2012, 18:44:26 »
I'm so envious of many of these things! None of my courgette/squash plants have survived animal and slug attacks and sheer cold and wind, but my second wave looks reasonable, though not a courgette remotely in sight. Potatoes still tiny.

However, I have just podded quite a respectable bowlful of peas (Alderman) plus picked another bowl of mangetouts and snap peas, have many vast lettuces, loads of herbs and have been eating broad beans for several weeks. Garlic, of course, lots of lovely large white onions.....sorry, this is a repeat of ten days ago......but it is such a relief to be able to report something.

Goji berry leaves are really quite pleasant and spinach like, quite a discovery, as are the elephant garlic scapes. And I am keenly picking asparagus and intend to go on to the end of the month, as it started so late....

My choir tonight will snack on asparagus tips on cream cheese mixed with herbs, on tiny slices of home made bread.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1439 on: June 28, 2012, 23:01:34 »
Strawberries and raspberries in my smoothie for breakfast, strawberry tartlets, raspberries with lunch,strawberries after dinner...I'm going to have to make jam ;D 
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal