Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?  (Read 265278 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?
« Reply #1320 on: January 16, 2012, 12:10:39 »
We had visitors at the weekend and I served - a few leaves of 'real' lettuce in cold frame (looking not very good and have probably had it now, unless they put on a spurt of growth in spring).  Lots of broad leaf endive, cornet de Bordeaux, which is not bitter at this time of year and does really well under a large fleece cloche.  Cress, a bit of celery, rocket and Red Mustard leaves to complete the mixed salad.  Own potatoes (last few meals), parsnips, chard, onions and garlic, also a trombone squash.  Bought carrots :(  For pud we had cherries, jostaberries, red currant and blackberries from the freezer, served on meringue nests with whipped cream on top.

Today's dinner will be - left-over potatoes, beans from the freezer and wok cooked sliced fried chicken in tomato sauce.  Tomatoes are from the freezer, squash from the windowsill.  Still have a few early Jalapeno peppers, that are half dried (these were seeds from Jeannine's amazing seed parcel and have done well here) to spice up the tomato sauce and onions and garlic.  The oregano is still looking good and so is the thyme for 'herby' flavours.  Still have a few frozen achocha halves, which also could go into the tomato sauce. 

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #1321 on: January 18, 2012, 21:48:34 »
Mines a bit basic but I'm still cutting long red peppers and chillies from conservatory. I had salad with peppers, spring onions- lillia's I think, +carrots. Last fresh tomato saved for tomorrow...  This evenings lamb stew had parsnips, carrots potatoes, garlic, chillies plus sprouts-all fresh.
 Mob coming at weekend so will use the leeks and one of the overgrown courgettes/marrows which is now yellow and turning itself into a squash for roasting... ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1322 on: January 24, 2012, 19:04:04 »
Just been preparing leeks and carrots to make soup. Also having Romanesco and jackets with a beef casserole...  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #1323 on: January 24, 2012, 20:38:03 »
pasta bolognese with onions, garlic, tomatoes (frozen), basil, carrots, thyme and brussel sprouts with onion,garlic, chilli. And salad .

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #1324 on: January 25, 2012, 20:15:20 »
For breakfast I had a Bramley apple, cored, and stuffed with blackcurrants then microwaved til soft and dowsed in cream. Apple and blackcurrants from the allotment.
For dinner I had mash (made with salad blue potatoes), carrots and a mixed greens selection featuring red kale, purple sprouting broccoli and romanesco. A colourful accompaniment to a couple of lamb burgers. For afters its the same as breakfast - I realised I have a lot of apples to eat before they get past it!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #1325 on: January 27, 2012, 21:20:01 »
Yep apple on the meusli for breakfast. Last red pepper finished with spring onions for lunch, stew with pfas, carrots, garlic, chillies, leeks and brussel tops. Its only a small plot ie garden but it turns out quite a lot of stuff  ;D
There's a lot of kale I've got to get stuck into but the purple sprouting isn't ready. Guess I've got 4-6 weeks wait yet.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1326 on: January 29, 2012, 18:18:07 »
Just been tidying up some celery for soup...
 :) picked/dug some parsnips as well....  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #1327 on: February 02, 2012, 00:49:43 »
Three whole hours on the plot last Sunday.... absolutely wonderful to have time to get back down there.

Brought home:
carrots, leeks, purple sprouting and kale so some very fresh veg for the Sunday roast along with stored potatoes.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1328 on: February 25, 2012, 19:24:22 »
Just about to have jacket spuds... Picasso from store... with carrots. Forgot to pick the Romanesco  :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1329 on: February 25, 2012, 19:56:25 »
Still eating spuds, jackets with my salmon, onion, mushrooms and rice.    :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #1330 on: February 25, 2012, 21:02:32 »
Finished the last of the spuds today  >:( will have to buy some now.Just a few runner beans left in the freezer and not many onions left :'(

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #1331 on: February 25, 2012, 22:55:23 »
leeks, sprouts and parsnips

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #1332 on: February 26, 2012, 12:24:15 »
Here too, last parsnips, leeks and a couple of winter radishes.  PSB looks awful, probably had it as it was too cold.  Something has eaten the chard and some of the chard has been killed by frost.  The white stemmed chard is ok (albeit somewhat eaten), the green stemmed chard (leaf beet) is mostly gone after the frost.  Interesting.

Rocket under cover looks ok and so do my overwintering turnips.  When I grew this variety first and overwintered them for seeds, I had substantial losses.  Growing from my own seeds, from the survivors that produced the seeds for the present plants, and they are much more frost hardy, despite a very cold winter.  They are adjusting  :)  it seems.

Most of the broad leaf endive (cornet de Bordeaux) has been destroyed by frost, but a row of well cloched plants still look a bit alive in the centre.  Hope they will recover and give us some more leaves soon.

At the moment we are mostly eating veg from the freezer and from the stored squashes on the windowsill which are still going strong, flavoured with lots of garlic and some dried Early Jalapeno hot peppers.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #1333 on: February 26, 2012, 16:03:41 »
Home-made pasties - not a spot of meat - butternut squash, spinach, garlic and cheddar cheese.

Absolutely delicious hot or cold.  :)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #1334 on: February 26, 2012, 22:11:19 »
Leeks and kale tops with the roast chicken.

Ninny

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #1335 on: February 26, 2012, 23:54:26 »
leeks, parsnip and cabbage.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1336 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:27 »
Got the Romanesco in for tea last night!  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #1337 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:19 »
Home-made pasties - not a spot of meat - butternut squash, spinach, garlic and cheddar cheese.

Absolutely delicious hot or cold.  :)

Give us the recipe A.R. Tony and I are gradually leaving meat out of our diet but there is only so much quorn you can eat..?
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #1338 on: February 29, 2012, 20:53:49 »
Lettuce, corn salad, beetroot, carrot, leeks and potatoes.Waiting for the PSB to head up..... Only half a beet left..
During lent I don't buy food. Have to dig in the cupboards and garden to eat. Mind you the freezer needs emptying but it can make me cook as I run out of things. Think it'll be flour I run out of first ;)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1339 on: March 03, 2012, 18:25:33 »
We haven't eaten them yet... but got the cooker on... Purple sprouting and late sprouts...Potatoes from store...
and leeks and parsnips to clean and process as soup...  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal