Author Topic: Soil Improvement  (Read 1376 times)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Soil Improvement
« on: August 11, 2009, 20:37:22 »
I had a lot of building work done and ended up importing top soil onto an area of about 500 sq metres. I want to create a decent quality lawn on this area and plan to seed it next year.

The top soil turned out to be poor quality, full of stones and very powdery. I have now rotivated the area twice and removed most of the stones. I have acquired about 10 cu metres of well rotted farm yard manure. It is black but not completely broken down. I was wondering whether I should spread it over the area now and rotivate it or whether I should leave it in a pile on top of the area and let it rot down over winter then spread it and rotivate.

george'sgirl

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Soil Improvement
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 22:11:56 »
Spread it, either rotavate it or leave it for the worms to take down. Sow your lawn as planned, and leave the grass cuttings to rot where they are for a while while they build up the soil in turn. Be patient and you'll get there.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:41:41 »
spread and rotorvate it NOW. grass establishes best if autumn sown, don't leave it 'til the spring!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 19:26:44 »
Thanks very much for the advice. I will spread and rotivate as suggested.

The thing that is making me doubt whether I can sow the seed before the end of September is the fact that the building work also created a large circular (about 5 metres diameter) patch which does not drain. The powdery top soil turns to porridge when it rains. Not sure what to do. Was thinking of digging out the powdery soil and mixing with some of the better soil and installing some drainage then put the mixed soil back on top. Not sure whether that is the right approach and if so how to install the drainage.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 22:40:26 »
If you raise the level a bit that will probably make a big difference. Maybe a load ot topsoil?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal