Author Topic: Sewing experts & info  (Read 6558 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Sewing experts & info
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:11:50 »
Hi

I'm about to dust off my sewing machine and I'm going to take it in for a health check.
Now it's been a while since I have sewed anything, other than buttons, so am very rusty. I'm presuming there is a wealth of information out there on the web but would appreciate info from you guys as to what sites are good. I also presume there are magazines, but not sure which ones are good. I'm planning on making some clothes for myself (getting fed up with what I'm seeing in the shops)

Thanks

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Sewing experts & info
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:40:53 »
I used to use patterns but they never seemed to fit very well and they are so expensive, so I start with something that fits well and use greaseproof paper to take the pattern from it.

My mother always used to say that you should never use a cheap piece of material.  If it starts off cheap it will end up cheap.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:13:46 »
This site is a direct link to the UK branch of Vogue, Butterick and McCalls - http://sewdirect.com/  where you can look at patterns online and order online.  They also publish a magazine which has helpful articles and BOGOF offers for patterns plus a free pattern offer if you take out a subscription.

I've been sewing for years and like the instructions given with these patterns and have got used to making the alterations I need for a good fit.   They all offer good combo patterns which include jacket, dress, trousers, top and skirts in one go so you can save money that way.   Butterick are the cheapest of the three and can be good value for basic, practical patterns.  Once you get your hand in again you can make your own modifications and variations.

There is a shop in a nearby town that reduces discontinued Vogue and Butterick patterns to €3, including designer stuff which can be interesting so maybe a shop local to you does the same. 

I have tried Burda and New Mode patterns but the instructions are very poor and they give sewing lines, not cutting lines so you can lose hours drawing them in.  I like a sewing project to be quick and painless and over the years I’ve picked up good techniques from Vogue and Butterick instructions.

I’d start with something simple like a top or skirt and take it from there.  Make sure you have supplies of interfacing, good quality thread and sharp needles including ballpoint for jersey and fleece.   Good luck and have fun.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 13:05:34 »
thanks for the replies!

Digeroo, I think your mum was spot on! And I'd forgotten about greaseproof paper - I remember my mum using it, so thanks for the flashback!

Obbelix, thank you for such a comprehensive reply and the links. I'll have a good search on there. We do have a few sewing/craft shops locally so that was going to be my 1st port of call. In the meantime it's hemming curtains - a long time since I've done that. And after that a VERY simple top  :D . Think I'll check out the magazine as well

Thanks

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 14:18:30 »

I have tried Burda and New Mode patterns but the instructions are very poor and they give sewing lines, not cutting lines so you can lose hours drawing them in.  I like a sewing project to be quick and painless and over the years I’ve picked up good techniques from Vogue and Butterick instructions.

??? My Burda patterns have cutting lines not sewing lines?...but then I haven't bought one recently i.e. last 12 months.

It's best to choose the brand of patterns closest to your own proportions.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 14:27:06 »
It's best to choose the brand of patterns closest to your own proportions.

Thanks for the tip kea, I guess its a matter of trying a few out. I was thinking of having a search in some of the charity shops round here to see if they have any patters  :-\

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 15:00:52 »
Kea - I buy mine in Belgium and they do sewing lines - all sizes on one sheet and close together so you can't even draw the cutting lines once and keep them as they jut into the next piece.  It was a nightmare earlier this year as I struggled to juggle all the pieces for a full Casanova costume for OH - shirt, breeches, waistcoat and jacket - plus a fancy gown for me for a Venice Carnival evening.

It seems to be the way they do it here.   I know a German lady here who used to run a sewing group for expats and thinks that they're easier to modify to fit but I can't see it myself.   What's more I get the instructions in about 6 languages - but not English.  Clearly they do things differently for the English speaking market.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 15:03:02 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 16:36:58 »
I've made a few things, a fishing rod bag, laptop bag and a short sleeve shirt.
The patterns are on the large side, XL for the shirt was massive!
I'm going to have a go at making my own patterns as recommended above, as patterns are so expensive (and they don't do many men's clothing patterns).

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 16:37:44 »
Firstly well done you for dusting off your machine, I wish you many happy hours together ;D
I also favour Vogue patterns, I have some from 35+ years ago and still use bits of them. Never had a problem with Burda either, and I've used them from the Burda (monthly)magazine for as many years. You can only get this from Smiths or have it sent via the postal service.
Try this forum, they are a friendly bunch and it's very informative. http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/index.php
Also Burda have a forum and you can download patterns from there, some are free, some are not, but not expensive. http://www.burdastyle.com/
If you are really enjoying yourself, treat yourself to an overlocker. I wouldn't be without mine. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 17:20:49 »
Hi 1066,

I am in the same situation, I really want to start sewing again, and just wanted to ask Emaggie what she uses her overlocker for?  I have never used one but my children all have used one at school.  Looking on the sewing forum they talked about using them to actually make clothes with, I am interested as I need a new machine, nothing fancy, and wondered if it would be more use to have an overlocker or do I need both?

I feel a bit guilty hijacking your thread, I hope you don't mind. :-[

It is interesting reading about the patterns, I used to like Simplicity patterns best when I was young but don't know where to start now.  Thank you for starting this thread. :)

T.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 17:45:04 »
well done you DTW, IMO more men should have a go  ;) And making bags sounds relatively easy and fun

Tulipa - no worries, glad I asked on here now! And I'm sure your questions will help me when I do eventually progress from straight lines!

Emagggie - thanks for the extra info and the link, I think I'll be needing a forum, as I always used to ask my mum for help, but can't do that anymore, but hopefully some of the stuff she did teach me and get me to do will come back to me. I think I may still have some of her old patterns in a box in the loft somewhere.....

Hi 1066,

If you are really enjoying yourself, treat yourself to an overlocker. I wouldn't be without mine. ;)

I think I'd be getting a bit ahead of myself there......

123b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 19:20:52 »
I am interested in sewing too!
So have read this post with interest.
I haven't done 'proper' sewing since school.
There are some lovely costume patterns on the sewdirect site Obbelix  :D Thanks for posting!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 21:17:28 »
I think Prima magazine has patterns in each month. There might be somethink in there to start you off.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 21:35:59 »
 1066 andTulipa, I use my overlocker in conjunction with my sewing machine. I have made 3 kimono style dressing gowns with the overlocker mostly, just using the sewing machine for topstitching. It took 2 hours max for 1. Also T shirts and knickers, duvet covers, pillow slips, the list is endless. Great for giving raw edges a professional finish. I bought it from a Bernina dealer and went to a workshop day for free. Don't know if they still provide this service, but there are classes about, I'm sure. The only downside is that you need to buy 3 (don't very often use 4) cones of same coloured thread. I have large cones of white, black and neutral and smaller spools for colours.
A good book is 'Sew U Home Stretch' by Wendy Mullin.Got this from www.play.com
Get those patterns out, 1066, you never know, you may find something you've really got to make. ;D I'd forgotten about Prima Gjanny, They have patterns in the mag if you have it posted to your home, but you will have to ring or mail them for the pattern if you buy it off the shelf. :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 21:37:50 by Emagggie »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 23:31:01 »
I have a friend who was given an overlocker and has gone bananas with it doing clothes for herself, casual shirts for her OH and some domestic projects too.    However, most modern machines these days have a few embroidery stitches and some form of straight stitch combined with automatic zig zag which is good for stretch, jersey and woven fabrics.  I find it saves a great deal of time compared with the days when I sowed a seam using the straight stitch then had to finish the edges with zig zag.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 07:15:30 »
I find it saves a great deal of time compared with the days when I sowed a seam using the straight stitch then had to finish the edges with zig zag.

Now that takes me back so will definietly look into the overlocker. I had also thought about classes, I guess the new terms start in late august so now's the time to start looking around

Thanks for the link GrannyJanny, the more info and help I get the better!

And emagggie - thanks for the feedback, I love the idea of making Kimono's !  and will check the book out

Once again thanks for the replies, it's certainly giving me lots of inspiration   :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 13:17:18 »
Kea - I buy mine in Belgium and they do sewing lines - all sizes on one sheet and close together so you can't even draw the cutting lines once and keep them as they jut into the next piece.  It was a nightmare earlier this year as I struggled to juggle all the pieces for a full Casanova costume for OH - shirt, breeches, waistcoat and jacket - plus a fancy gown for me for a Venice Carnival evening.

It seems to be the way they do it here.   I know a German lady here who used to run a sewing group for expats and thinks that they're easier to modify to fit but I can't see it myself.   What's more I get the instructions in about 6 languages - but not English.  Clearly they do things differently for the English speaking market.

Actually your German lady is correct they are easy to alter the trick is to not cut the original pattern sheet, I bought a huge roll of pattern cutting paper (from McCulloch and Wallis) http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Product.aspx/PatternPaper!81880  and I copy the pattern pieces and if you say need the hips bigger you just use the lines for the next largest size and graduate between sizes.

I stopped my subscription to Prima mag 3/4 years ago when they stopped having the patterns as far as I know they haven't restarted.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 16:02:13 »
Prima do have the patterns in the magazines but only if you subscribe by post. They are always offering very good deals for a years subscription, and I believe you can do it with Tesco points too.

Pomona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 17:28:01 »
A tip I read recently is to look in charity shops for a style you like, even if the fabric isn't good, and use that as a pattern. haven't tried it yet, but paper patterns are so expensive- I have a few old basics and mix and match them. I did download a pattern from sewing patterns.com because i needed it in a hurry- hmm- of course it downloaded onto about a hundred A4 sheets and took ages to piece together. However, I've got it now.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 17:35:14 »
Prima do have the patterns in the magazines but only if you subscribe by post. They are always offering very good deals for a years subscription, and I believe you can do it with Tesco points too.

They must have bought back the patterns because as soon as they said they weren't having them anymore I cancelled my subscription as i had no interest in it without the patterns...I never even look at it after that so they may have found they lost a lot of subscribers when they took the patterns out and reintroduced them again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal