Author Topic: Lettuce  (Read 1963 times)

Plot35

• Not So New ...
Lettuce
« on: July 27, 2009, 22:51:10 »
Could anyone give advise on the best way to keep lettuce when pulled up from the plot and taken home, please.

Many Thanks

plot 22

• Not So New ...
Re: Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 22:57:08 »
I try to pick in the evening, get it home asap, wash it and spin it.  If I'm not eating straight away, I store in the fridge wrapped in a clean tea towel.  I have kept little gems like this for several days and they are still as crisp as the minute they were picked.

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 23:00:54 »
I don't know if it's the best way but we just pull off outer leaves, wash the heart and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge.
     It lasts for ages without the the surface leaves going soft (unlike the supermarket ones) and still tastes great.
     If you mean storing in the freezer, I've never done it (if it's possible).

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 23:02:22 »
We do the same as muddylou. 8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 00:45:54 »
I try to pick in the evening, get it home asap, wash it and spin it.  If I'm not eating straight away, I store in the fridge wrapped in a clean tea towel.  I have kept little gems like this for several days and they are still as crisp as the minute they were picked.

for blousey lettuces i do the same, pick get it to kitchen asap, wash and spin in a spinner and store in the fridge in between layers of paper towels in a container, it keeps extremely well for ages. if the leaves are remotely wet it spoils, so if it is relatively clean i just pick off the leaves and store again in between layers of paper towels in a container and simply wash before using.

if i cant wash straight away after removing the root i stand in container of water to allow it to remain hydrated (like a cut flower). I've kept it two days like this on the kitchen counter before the outer leaves starts to get floppy.

for tight heart lettuces like little gem/ icebergs i just remove the outer leaves and store in a ziplock bag in the crisper draw and wash when ready to use, again they keep for ages too.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 06:23:45 »
We stand the stem in 1/2" water.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:26:19 »
The crispy ones like little gem keep even if you do nothing. In fact they carry on growing the the fridge! Makes me feel a bit cruel eating them, when they've made such an effort at surival!

But the floppy lettuces - get them a bit damp, and put in a plastic bag. If they've already flopped, you can revive them this way, and any other leaves.

I think that process is something we did in GCSE biology, but can't remember what it's called! I seem to remember putting leaves in plastic bags...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:54:32 »
I bought one of these

click here

Absolutely brilliant for a couple of quid - keeps salad crips in the fridge for ages - well worth it.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:56:19 »
We stand the stem in 1/2" water.

Same for mint.I always pop mine in a glass of water and it stays fresh. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal