Author Topic: fruit trees  (Read 1772 times)

kenbutts

• Not So New ...
fruit trees
« on: July 30, 2009, 20:30:08 »
Hi I planted 4 fruit trees last year and they are thriving, latter this year I need to move them any problems?
kenbutts
kenbutts

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 20:45:17 »
No, they're still young, with small root systems. Do it after they've dropped their leaves and you won't have a problem.

kenbutts

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 20:54:59 »
Hi Robert
many thanks
ken butts
kenbutts

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 00:52:25 »
No, they're still young, with small root systems. Do it after they've dropped their leaves and you won't have a problem.

So -  are my two 4year old apple trees,  too old to move.  I was looking to move them at the end of the year to my big plot before giving up the small plot
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sheilan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 01:06:02 »

So -  are my two 4year old apple trees,  too old to move.  I was looking to move them at the end of the year to my big plot before giving up the small plot

I moved my 3 yr old apple tree early this spring (which I bought as a 2yr old bear root bush) with no problems. In January I went around the base of the tree, 2ft from the bole, just cutting a circle to the depth of the spade. This was to encourage the more fibrous roots to multiply. Then about 6 weeks later I lifted the tree and placed it immediately into a prepared hol, with a stake already in place to secure it too. It's important to make sure it does not suffer from drout until established. It has shown no signs of suffering from the move. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:30:23 »
You can move a young tree comfortably, but do it while it's dormant, and be prepared to water all through the first season. If roots are cut, a good pruning would help.

kenbutts

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 19:46:51 »
Many thanks to all
Ken
kenbutts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal