Author Topic: Using a Rotavator  (Read 2794 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Using a Rotavator
« on: October 06, 2004, 10:50:06 »
I'm thinking of using a rotavator to dig up the back section of my plot. Firstly I need to dig out any nasty weeds by hand (there aren't too many because it's spent the past 6 months covered with plastic sheeting and carpet under that) but then I want to use a rotavator. The back section has not been dug over in a long time, it was previously used for a greenhouse and a shed so the soil is quite compacted. Will a rotavator work on well compacted soil, it's not like concrete but it is pretty hard. And is a rotavator easy to use, i.e. can I use it or should I be bribing my husband to spend his Sunday doing it for me?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Using a Rotavator
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 11:14:36 »
If it's of a reasonable size, & assuming it's not self-propelled, it's quite a strain on the shoulders & stomach muscles, & you have to develop a knack of making it pull forwards without letting it rush away. It needs to be rocked, & allowed to dig well down before moving on. It can look as though it's digging deep when it's only fluffing up the soil.

With hard ground, go over it once or twice - just scuffing the surface, before trying to dig.

Yes - get his help!! = Tim

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:Using a Rotavator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:25:24 »
Tim, I've got terrifying pictures of me being helplessly dragged across my allotment by a runaway rotavator after reading that!  :o

Think I'll definitely get my husband to help out over the weekend, he's going to be well chuffed when he hears my weekend plans, bet it rains this weekend too just to add insult to injury for him.

Thanks for your advice.  :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal