Author Topic: Broadband issues  (Read 1501 times)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Broadband issues
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:25:37 »
Here is one for all the internet users.
I have been off line as from yesterday, this was due to an adviser from Virgin Media stating that my connection problems was due to my software conflicting with their system.
I have got a desktop running vista, OH has a laptop running xp home, son has same but runs xp pro, daughter has same but runs off MAC.
Surely all the software that uses these pc's will not conflict with the running of their system which uses all manor of software to keep up to date.
We have the basic security running in the back ground which has had all the updates and is compatible to their running.
Wireless router to allow all users access.
To top it all the next time I contacted them the adviser who was a different person just checked the modem and found a fault with that. He re booted it and hey presto it all worked fine. Just shows you that you have to be persistant with these people to get what you want.
I am not one for complaining ;) but in these days of not getting what you want, I have started to moan a bit louder down the phone to get action.
Seems to be working now. 8)

Got them back now to put some tread on them

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: Broadband issues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 16:28:06 »
Finally got this fixed by a person who understood the system.
He told me that there was a problem with the modem and fixed it while I was on the phone.
So it helps not to believe all that is told you by the people who are supposed to be in the know.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:17:24 »
Anytime you have a problem with broadband or a wireless connection, it's always best to turn of the router/modem for a couple of minutes or reset it (usualy a small hole on the back big enough to get a pen tip in) different ones have different ways of resetting.

A lot of these advisors have no-idea about pc's they just read whats on the screen in front of them and click yes or no depending on your answer to the question. You can tell the ones that know their stuff as they ask/answer your question a lot quicker and don't go the long way round to get to the most basic function.

Glad you got it sorted.

Neil

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 14:29:31 »
While i would agree that a power down / back up again for all computer related stuff is concerned is a good thing, especially with routers and modems, I would be wary of resetting the router with a pin in the small hole method. A lot of wireless routers have their wifi security off by default and a hard reset like this can cause untold problems.
If a powerdown and restart doesn't do the trick, try it again in half an hour. If that doesn't work then a phone call is the only way....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal