Author Topic: How safe is a wireless computer for on line banking?  (Read 3190 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
How safe is a wireless computer for on line banking?
« on: July 25, 2009, 14:58:37 »
also, can we both use wireless on our laptops at the same time?
thanks for any advice  :)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: How safe is a wireless computer for on line banking?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:00:20 »
I have never found any problem with this, BUT you must have your router set securely.

The risk with a laptop is that you may forget it and someone else walk off with it (and your bank details). I only take mine out when I use it with a digital projector or visit my step daughter's.

Yes, you can both use it at the same time. I run a computer group (21st year) and have frequently had several members using my router at the same time.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:56:25 »
You should set your encryption on your router to WPA\WPA2 and not WEP.  WEP can be cracked by any kiddie script-er sitting outside your home with a laptop.

I stopped using wireless and use ethernet over power .  Much more reliable and more secure although not as versatile.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:33:41 »
I have found the wireless router if used with a good encryption (password) is great.
We have at home here four laptops and a desktop for little old me. Various operating systems work well together and all have different security as to what the user needs are. Dont ask as they all know thier own laptop and I stay true to the desk top.
I also found this web site to be useful at times.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/
You can find most things now on the web just by searching. ;D ;D
Bets of luck and keep the faith.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:32:03 »
to be honest my question would be reversed - how safe is online banking? But I guess that's another question for another day.... But if you are happy doing it then the advice on here is very sound

1066  :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:52:36 »
to be honest my question would be reversed - how safe is online banking? But I guess that's another question for another day.... But if you are happy doing it then the advice on here is very sound

1066  :)

I guess to a large extent it depends on you, the user.  Most online systems from the major banks are comparible in their security and it is more often the user that compromises their own security. 
If you have an up to date PC (software wise), with good AV and malware protection, good hardware firewall, ingnore phising requests, have good secure passwords, always log off, always type the link in directly to the browser then online banking is fine!!
I'd be more worried about where and how I use my card as bith Mrs Barriedalenick and i have had our cards cloned !

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:57:43 »
Its pretty grim out there isn't it barridalenick?! I've had someone pottering around using a fake drivers license opening store cards (and spending on them) in my name recently.  :-X

1 thing I definitely wouldn't use is a data card / dongle to book anything or do work like banking.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:12:01 »
It can be 1066 - apparently I have been spending money in a timber yard in Jamacia and my wife tried to spen £5000 on shoes in one outing!  Mind you I wouldn't put that past her!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:26:38 »
Ah yes, never mind wireless security or online banking, its the OH that empties my bank account without my knowledge or permission.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 12:52:41 »
We seem to have morphed into a "joy of marriage, shared bank accounts and shopping" theme  ;)   :-X 
so apologies to manics and hope the advice on here has helped

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 16:28:16 »
thanks, folks..think I'll stick to the cable for the banking, Ray can have a go at wireless  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 13:45:43 »
Banks are very keen on security.  A while ago my daughter was abroad and was supposed to be paying for a holiday but it had not happened.  So I agreed to pay for her and she then transferred the money back to me using an internet cafe abroad.

Well the security system went into overdrive and shut down my bank account, my internet banking, my debit card.  I bought some petrol but luckily have another account so I was able to pay for it.  It was a nightmare.  In a moment of panic I gave the internet banking pass word on the phone so they shut down my phone banking.

It took some time to work out where the problem lay and for them to contact my daughter to check it all out.  Meanwhile all three bank accounts, mine, my daughter and the holiday co had their accounts frozen for more than 24 hours. 

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 13:57:47 »
not forgeting to mention the email scams!!! Had one in my inbox today asking me to use the link to check my password for my account. They really look professional too! straight to the junk box that went :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal