Author Topic: wondering what to use to feed my squash plants  (Read 14580 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Re: wondering what to use to feed my squash plants
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 08:43:18 »
Hi squashfan..... I've started using nettle fertiliser this year and all my plants are really benefiting. Really easy to do provided you can stand a bit of a swampy smell. If you fancy giving it a go click on the link to my blog below & do a search on 'nettle'. Regards, John
http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Great Blog, Jonh :)  Ilike the sublimal mentioningof cups every paragraph or two......is this to wear down the opposition???
Jackie

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 15:46:12 »
Squashfan and 1066 thanks for the lovely comments :-*.

Your welcome Thifasmom. Looking at your pics of your pumpkin patch made me look at mine again, and in case I forget could someone remind me to buy seeds for bush pumpkins! i.e. not to grow mainly trailing types next year  :P  ;D

was checking the plants again this am and was placing tiles under the fruits to keep them off the damp cardboard and hopefully the slugs ::) and noticed that Squash: Celebration wasn't trailing at all but forming all its fruits on a short central stem measuring about 15 inches. can anyone else confirm this is not a trailer, if its not I'll happily grow it in my raised beds next year, that's if it doesnot get the chop for poor flavour, etc.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 09:21:55 »
Thifasmum. I have the same squash and was tld it was a non-vining/bush one. Atpresent it has one fruit at the centre of the plant. It is'nt sending out loads of trailers. Hope this helps  :)
Jackie

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 21:21:20 »
Thifasmum. I have the same squash and was tld it was a non-vining/bush one. Atpresent it has one fruit at the centre of the plant. It is'nt sending out loads of trailers. Hope this helps  :)

thanks, i got the seeds in a swap and my research didn't produce this info, so i'll add it to the seed packet for future referance, thanks again.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 09:11:03 »

I like the sound of these bush types.  Can anyone recommend some? 

So Thfasmom has Celebration, are there any more recommendations for digeroo and me  ;D

edited - just reading this thread and it has a few more potential varieties mentioned
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,53834.0.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:17:54 by 1066 »

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 21:03:06 »
I give mine the slopps from the local pub.... they love it!!!   Wonder if they'll come out alcholics!!! ???
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

essexsue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 16:58:10 »
My butternut squsash are trying to take over the whole allotment!! the leaves just keep moving around - covering the leeks and have intertwined with the tomatoes - ( who are at least a metre and a half away from where the squasah was planted) alas though no actual plants yet -lots of flowers and promises of things to come....

Have never fed them though.... perhaps that is what they are looking for

sue

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 06:57:49 »
Hi squashfan..... I've started using nettle fertiliser this year and all my plants are really benefiting. Really easy to do provided you can stand a bit of a swampy smell. If you fancy giving it a go click on the link to my blog below & do a search on 'nettle'. Regards, John

Great Blog, Jonh :)  Ilike the sublimal mentioningof cups every paragraph or two......is this to wear down the opposition???

Hi Hector...Having bought the three cups you'd think my sons would let me win them occasionally... but no, there's no quarter given. My own fault for being so competitive & no doubt passing that on to them! John

We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 10:46:50 »
We put a good bucket load of well rotted manure under all of ours and that's it.
I did that and my Butternut squash plants are still only about wide from leaf edge to leaf edge.  They are Harrier F1 bush variety and show no signs of any BS yet ??? ???  Guess they will be getting some chicken pellets or tomato feed tomorrow then.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 14:57:11 »
haven't checked my squash at the lottie since my return from oop north for work this week, but the ones in the back garden are doing well - lots of green tennis balls there.  :D

One fairly nice prolific bush squash is the Northern bush. I got a decent output from them a few years ago tho the local yobs decided to grab a couple and smash them by the gates!  >:( They were your typical pumpkin shape and size.

For pure pumpkin tastiness, there is a warty horror called galeuse d'esysines (sp?) that makes excellent pumpkin soup. But it's a trailing vine. And looks like it has a virus!
This year it's squash.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 18:08:43 »
One fairly nice prolific bush squash is the Northern bush. I got a decent output from them a few years ago tho the local yobs decided to grab a couple and smash them by the gates!  >:( They were your typical pumpkin shape and size.

Thanks for the info another 1 to try next year.
I take it you mean the pumpkins are pumpkin shaped and not the yobs  ;)  ;D

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 11:41:40 »
Dunno, judging by the wrappers the locals chuck into the plot I suspect some of them are quite round!  ;D
This year it's squash.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 12:18:43 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

And hope you get some good yob free pumpkins this year  :)

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 21:36:21 »
my pumkins are doing real fine .
and so are my squashes
all i did last year was get hold of about two tonne of horse manure and putt it were i was gonna put my squashes/gordes . when i felt that it had stood long enough to rot dopwn propperly . i moved the two tunne of s### to were i wanted the pumking (on the furthes corner away from the squashes) thinking that any juces would leach into the soil of were i had stored the manure

once the poo was in the pumking bed i rotavated it all an and left it for about two weeks and put my seeds in, sown direct not into pot then in .
watered the seeds in till they came up and once the main leaves started to show i stoped watering . ive used the same method on both beds and both are doing very nicley

i now have pumkins about twelve main ones that are over two foot across and loads of little gordes
and i havent watered them since they put there main leaves out .
oh and me onions are doing very well next to then as i thing the pumkins are sucking up all the exsess rain

HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal