Author Topic: Stevia as a sweetener  (Read 2848 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Stevia as a sweetener
« on: July 17, 2009, 09:04:50 »
I've been having loads of trouble getting this plant, just found a herb farm in scotland who have put one to one side until my cheque gets there. For those of us who need a safe sweetener(diabetes), this looks like the answer, looked for side effects on the net and found this  :)
Stevia is a perennial shrub (known as stevia rebaudiana) of the aster family that has been used for hundreds of years to sweeten foods and teas. The leaves of the plant contain chemicals called glycosides, the major one being stevioside.

Stevioside is used a sweetener in Japan and Korea, where it is recognized as a safe food additive. As such it represents 40% of the Japanese sweetener market, and is even used by multinational food companies like Coca Cola to sweeten its products.

However, although stevia safety has been confirmed by numerous scientific studies around the world, the FDA has been doing whatever it can to keep stevia out of the country. They claim that stevia rebaudiana safety has not been confirmed, even though they have been made aware that there are no stevia side effects.

The FDA's reluctance to recognize stevia rebaudiana safety is no doubt due to pressure from the powerful sugar industry. They stand to lose millions of dollars if stevia - a safe, powerful and cheap alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners - gets approved as a food additive in the United States.

Many groups are currently protesting the unfair FDA ruling on stevia safety. They claim that the government is requiring more proof that there are no stevia side effects than they do for other additives - including Nutra Sweet. The fact that there is so much evidence of stevia rebaudiana safety and that it is being used in so many parts of the world for so many years should be enough to convince the FDA that there are no stevia side effects.

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Stevia as a sweetener
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:29:41 »
thanks for this, something we want to get too. Is the plant itself straightforward?
Jackie

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:31:42 »
I read recently that it was now legal in the US, only because drinks manufacturers put pressure on the government as they want to use it as an alternative to aspartame.

You may be able to get it through this website http://www.naturalnews.com/ - some very interesting articles too!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:33:54 »
the nursery is
poyntzfield herb nursery, black isle by dingwall, Iv7 8lx
says it's indoors all year round, price is a bit hefty with postage, it's costing me 15.30, he'll have some in august..I'm hoping I can take cuttings off it..there's loads on the net about it, looks like the eu wants to ban it, too  :o

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:42:01 »
Jackie

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:54:07 »
thanks, hector, something for my birthday wish list  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:35 »
You can buy it from Nicky's nursies as seed

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/herb-s.htm?gclid=CJr44qWw3JsCFZ0U4wodLEBQAQ

Would like to give it a try.  Does it grow outside or is it a windowsill job.

Gave up on Aspartame - gave me high blood pressure, and then found Sucralose has just as many side effects. 

Have given up on fizzy drinks, just use fizzy water and lime juice.  But do like ginger beer.  (the ginger beer plant will not do - no alcohol either). 

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:11:06 »
i just ordered the seeds from the same nursery and ordered the book, it`s all very interesting

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:42:43 »
Digeroo I buy Belvoire organic ginger cordial, diluted with sparkling water it's very like ginger beer. They didn't have organic last time & got the non organic & it's so sweet I can't drink it. I have a big problem with sugar in that I fall asleep after consuming it in excess (to me).

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:14:54 »
I get a mouthful of ulcers with a couple of boiled sweets  :o

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 12:37:32 »
I got mouth ulcers with cough medicine from the doc.

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:49:10 »
I got the seeds from nicky's seeds, and have to say they are growing quite well. Very quick to germinate, planted 5 so far got five little seedlings. Mine were planted in some multipurpose compost and covered with a poly bag and left sat on a coolish bench in the greenhouse, hopefully they will be big enough to go out in autumn but if not I will overwinter them until spring.
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 12:24:31 »
Banshee, When did you plant the seeds please. I have just got some from NN & it says on the pack that they are not winter hardy. I do have somewhere to over winter them & wondered about getting them started now.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 12:25:10 »
i just ordered the seeds from the same nursery and ordered the book, it`s all very interesting

Is the book any good...seriously thinking of getting some seeds!
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 13:53:41 »
Digeroo I buy Belvoire organic ginger cordial

Thanks for this suggestion, I will give it a try.  Male ginger tea by just putting hot water on cut up pieces of ginger and then add lemon or lime.

Also don't get on with suger.  Got used to not using it.

How big are Stevia plants, only have a limited amount of window sill space. 

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 23:40:24 »
Banshee, When did you plant the seeds please. I have just got some from NN & it says on the pack that they are not winter hardy. I do have somewhere to over winter them & wondered about getting them started now.

I planted them only about 10 days ago. I only chose to plant the 5, which I will overwinter either in the greenhouse or if it gets really cold, the bedroom window sill. Hope this helps grannyjanny  ;D
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal