Author Topic: Calabrese/broccoli - will they come again?  (Read 1543 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Calabrese/broccoli - will they come again?
« on: July 22, 2009, 21:02:24 »
Hi Y'all,

Delighted to find beautiful heads on my broccoli today, so many that I gave some away, we like it but my word couldn't eat that much!!!!  Having cut off the main heads, will I get a further crop.  And what will/should follow the broccoli when it is finally finished?  Thanks in advance, I know the answer is out there!!

Regards Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Calabrese/broccoli - will they come again?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 08:13:44 »
Most brassicas will "come again"... if you cut the stump you get baby cabbages from cabbages most "Broccoli" types will respond by producing inferior heads (flower stalks) like dead-heading flowering plants. I wouldn't bother myself.  :-\

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:21 »
Most brassicas will "come again"... if you cut the stump you get baby cabbages from cabbages most "Broccoli" types will respond by producing inferior heads (flower stalks) like dead-heading flowering plants. I wouldn't bother myself.  :-\
Same here.  Once I have harvested... the rest of the plant is given to my hens.  I left 4 calabrese this year to try the spears but only got a couple from each plant.  Tried it but will give it a miss in future and get something else growing in the ground.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:51:48 »
UNBELIEVABLE!!

Calabrese tends to give you a mass of 4 person heads all at once. Certainly we can not cope with them all.

Thus it is a joy to have a week or two's succession - as from one plant yesterday -[attachment=1]

Such a valuable food.

Make sure you leave some buds on the main stem when you first cut.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:04 »
We harvested about 3 bags of side florets from 12 plants in the succeeding 2-3 weeks.  Last week I decided that was it and pulled them out for a crop of oriental veg (mustards and Pak choi).

If they have budding side shoots and you are not desperate for the space or nets (we net ours) why not leave them and see for a couple of weeks.  I also watered mine with a bit of seaweed feed which seemed to help.

Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal