Author Topic: Allotment Inspections  (Read 18354 times)

BrianK

• Not So New ...
Re: Allotment Inspections
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 20:28:59 »
I think theres some confusion here.  A HUGE proportion of that is risk assesment and not a tenancy friendly checklist.  I would certainly use that if you are responsible for insurance and health and safety on your site then fine,  Do a risk assesment now and again as seen fit by the respective insurance company etc.   However noneed to tell the plot holder unless they are in breach of it in which case a friendly word or if needed a letter explaining what the issue is and why it has to be corrected is in order.  Otherwise just tell the plot holder they should be careful of health and safetry etc and cultivate their plot and don't waste water...

Gloves whilst wearing manure>  Never seen it on gardners world   lol

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 21:20:00 »
It's ridiculous, but it's what the ARI propose.  I think they're fundamentally wrong.  They assert without any justification that the site owner is responsible for health and safety on the site.  If that were true then it could well be prudent for a management committee to undertake such a survey, but it's not, and they shouldn't.

But for hazards in the common areas it's pretty sound.  Water butts for example, pose a significant drowning risk to small children so it's good practice for butts to have lids.

The ARI does touch on the issue of tenant privacy - it's an obligation on councils to respect a tenants right to privacy - so intrusive inspections are not allowed, and nor is poking your nose into someone's shed.

Remember that the inspection must be done from the communal paths - no one has a right to walk on a tenat's plot but the tenant.

I really don't like the tone of the inspection at all.  It's not a bad idea to encourage the tenant to think about health and safety, but this kind of big brother approach is way too much.  Tell the allotmenteers what the hazards are and let them work it out.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

I love digging

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 00:54:00 »
Jeez - I'm running a mile here! This is so not what the whole spirit of allotmenteering is about. 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 00:56:35 »
I agree, this checklist is a H&S led risk assessment, and if it has to be completed without entering the plot or without an hours inquisition of the plot holder to ensure they are 'clearing up their dogs faeces', it is simply an unworkable tool. I particularly dislike the 'weighting' of evidence...good grief. If you do eventually achieve a 'score' for a plot, what will it actually mean!!!!!

As for working out the proportion of the plot that is uncultivated.......well, as someone who does plot assessments on our site I can tell you it is difficult enough deciding if a plot is 2/3rds (our standard) cultivated (or prepared for planting), let alone anything else...... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:47 »
All I can say to that list is Blimey  :o

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 07:58:55 »
Welcome to A4A "I love Digging"...
Knew Deb would see this thread so I didn't comment yesterday...
Has Cam forgotten where his plot is ?  :-X

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:01 »
I inspect our 2 sites monthly either on my own or with the town council.  We don't bother with a checklist.  As long as the plot is being cultivated, worked in accordance with the tennancy agreement and not just full of weeds then we are content.  Occassionally I need to gently remind plotholders to keep paths clear but thats about it.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 08:33:19 »
 :o
Eek!  Our inspections consist of four or more of us (committee members) wondering around the site and generally agreeing if Mr X needs a quiet word or if Ms Y needs a formal letter.
Then we go down the pub!
If we were to follow that checklist we would probably all be out on our ears.

I love "Does the plot holder have soap & towels available for hand washing especially where they have children on site?"  Soap and towels!! Are they taking the pish??
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 08:48:33 »
Any such list should fit on an A4 sheet of paper and be double spaced with room to spare!

Why do people try to include every what if they can think of instead of being practical and using a bit of common sense!

Right I'm off to my plot, which incidently would certainly fail such an inspection, to do some digging and weeding.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 09:49:14 »
I think its rather over zealous! We have plot inspections, but they consist of a couple of reps from the allotment committee wandering round with the site manager, checking to make sure the plots are cultivated and the paths are clear. They do take action where necessary eg if a plot is very overgrown. We have a book where plot holders can list any concerns eg rats. Seems to work for us!
Kitty Katt.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 12:19:56 »
Still couldn't get it, but I agree with a check list as it makes it a lot fairer, and easier for the committee. We introduced one some time ago which has been very helpful. When you have to inspect 150 plots you need some guidelines.  We can send the check list with the ticked boxes to the plotholder who can then know that their plot has too much rubbish, too many weeds, is not cultivated or has crops going to seed on it, or a list of any other things. It is easier for the secretary as she doesn't have to compose a letter especially. Just don't make it over complicated. We have just won best site in the North Tyneside in bloom competition, so we must be doing something right. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 13:09:32 »
owch!

this is a joke

someone needs to get real!

please use some discernment here!

dax

ODD

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 15:22:19 »
Thanks for the comments, sorry about the problem with the links.

I appreciate that if an inspection is being carried out by people who are sympathetic to the allotment movement and plotholders all that is need is a quick  look based on an overall impression. However if the inspection is being carried out by a counsellor who gives every appearance of being anti-allotment and prepared to make quite sweeping critical comments there is a need to remove subjectivity and to target the inspection on items included in the tenancy agreement and what is accepted as good practice.
We have attempted to ensure that it is not possible to just pick on  plotholders as any inspection should identify more strengths than weaknesses on an average plot.
There where comments relating to the unwashed eggs shells in the compost heap which attract rats. This one is interesting as I always understood that we should not be  disposing  of "food waste" on an allotment site.   In practice we would only check compost heaps if there was a significant rat problem and where we have done so we found egg shells. We will certainly revise that question.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 15:26:28 »
Thanks for the comments, sorry about the problem with the links.

I appreciate that if an inspection is being carried out by people who are sympathetic to the allotment movement and plotholders all that is need is a quick  look based on an overall impression. However if the inspection is being carried out by a counsellor who gives every appearance of being anti-allotment and prepared to make quite sweeping critical comments there is a need to remove subjectivity and to target the inspection on items included in the tenancy agreement and what is accepted as good practice.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, isn't having so many questions just going to give someone with a bee in their bonnett an excuse to pick away at things? You could be opening a real can of worms here....

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 15:29:07 »
oops

I predict a riot -

eggshells are a valuable component of a compost heap

and sledge hammers do crack nuts I suppose

dax

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 16:01:49 »
ODD you have posted here for our comments on your lists, we have given you the feedback that the lists are unworkable for individual plot holders and very intrusive and so probably not legal and you still defend your lists.

If you didn't want our opinions and so keep your mind set then please don't ask.  :)

I'm not being mean to you when I say that but many, many posters on here are allotment committee members and run their allotments without such 'rules' just fine.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 16:04:52 by Ishard »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 17:13:18 »
Ishard's point's a fair one, but I suppose the question is: what to do about ignorant councillors who understand nothing of the allotment movement.  My site is managed directly by the council and I can understand the problem.  OCD's checklist was designed to control the ignorant councillor.  I'd be more bullish - some council's do get to think that they can do what they want, and sadly a lot of allotmenteers believe this too, so the job of the site association is to confront the council and support the allotmenteers. 
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 20:16:57 »
OCD's

LOL!   ;D  Freudian or what?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 21:24:01 »

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 02:14:41 »
And what do you do with plotholders like me who grow plants for seed. The seed is the crop, some to eat and some to sow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal