Author Topic: Pleae help my Aeonium!  (Read 1493 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Pleae help my Aeonium!
« on: July 23, 2009, 19:53:55 »
Hi Y'All

I bouht a beautiful and expensive Aeonium at the Eden Project about a month ago, during the hetwave.  Since then it has set on my patio quite happily but when we started to have torrential rain here in Cornwall I brought it into the conservatory figuring:

1.  Aeoniums come from places like the Canaries, where it is hot and dry
2.  It is a succulent and would therefore have lots of water already stored in its lovely dark red 'leaves'

It is still in the conservatory, in a slightly sheltered out of direct sun position, with lots of light.  The bottom leaves are becoming shrivelled and have fallen off.  I am worried bout my new baby!!!!

Help, what am I doing wrong?

I know the answer is out there!

Regards,  Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Pleae help my Aeonium!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:01:04 »
Hi
I love aeoniums! And have a some for a few a few years now. From what I've read and learnt myself they really don't like being indoors, even in winter. And they do seem to need a fair amount of water. The leaves dying at the bottom is ok (ish) mine have done that when the plant has been stressed. So pull them off and put the plant outside and it should recover.

For over wintering I put the pot in a bigger pot which then has straw stuffed down the sides, and then put some fleece over them. And leave them outside.

I also discovered last year, when the plant got knocked over in the wind and one of the flower heads / stems broke that you can just simply replant them. I just put a bit a gorwth hormone on the bottom and stuck it in some multi purpose. And its come good

So they are quite hardy and seem, even though I've neglected them and bashed them about quite indestructible  ;D

Good Luck

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal