Author Topic: Dahlias  (Read 4321 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Dahlias
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 18:46:47 »
I love that white one Betty
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 18:55:36 »
I love that white one Betty

It's from Wilkie and it's Tsuki Yori No Shisha.  I like it too, lovely big shaggy flowers.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 09:53:42 »
Morning All
First time I have posted on flowers you have really opened my eyes.

What beautiful dahlias  :o I shall certainly try to grow some next year any tips would be more than welcome. Could you please tell me the names of some of the photo's  they are wonderful.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 05:39:16 »
What beautiful dahlias  :o I shall certainly try to grow some next year any tips would be more than welcome. Could you please tell me the names of some of the photo's  they are wonderful.

I am by no means an expert on dahlias but I do love growing them so this is what I do-
If you are buying new tubers I found Wilkinsons to be very good (and cheap, about £1 or £1.50 each) I start new ones off in the greenhouse in pots and plant them out in early June when hopefully there won't be any more frost. 

I leave them in the ground over the winter but put a pile of straw on top to protect them. 

I don't think you can beat dahlias for a colourful display which lasts for ages.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

aussiedigger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 07:57:54 »
Oh, I am green with envy!  I had loads of Bishop of Llandaff in the back garden and they were stunning.  Unfortunately most of them croaked this winter, and only 3 have survived.  They are struggling despite my best nurturing so I plan to restock next year.  The ones on the allotment (all from Wilkos) have been slug fodder and only one looks like it will do anything. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal