Author Topic: Has your allotment got a website?  (Read 30836 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Has your allotment got a website?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 06:19:43 »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  There are some really good websites - I haven't had time to look at all of them yet, but I will. 

When I made our website in March 05 I thought that maybe only a few people at our allotments would look at it but how wrong I was!   I get many enquiries because of it. The BBC came and filmed us, we have also hosted Gardeners Question Time.  Monty Don and Chris Beardshaw have visited us for the programmes.  Some of my photos are in a book by Matthew Biggs (he was on the GQT team) Whenever there are allotment-related stories, the local newspapers ring us up for comments (like I'm some sort of expert  ???) We get lots of enquiries for plots through it, and lots of visitors to the allotments too. 

If any of you have a look at it, please leave a comment in the guest book and say that you are from A4A.
www.growit.ik.com

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

ODD

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 13:20:54 »
i would agree that web sites are very useful. Our allotment Society has  a web site which we find very helpful particularly as we organise competitions and events open to the public.e.g scarecrow and paited compost bin competition (August 15), Sunflower day(12 sept) and Pumpkin day (31 October) it is very useful in providing a point of contact for those outside of the village who want to support us.
It also provides a means of keeping members informed of news and provides a source of photos of events.  Link to site  :eagsociety.co.cc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 19:11:03 »

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 21:39:41 »
Now you've seen the rest, that only leaves the best. Not about the site itself (yet) but mine designed, built and hosted by me, (The plot and the web site).

Eristic's website

Eristic, the text your site is interesting and I've always wanted to see your images (Oca in particular); however, they don't display on any browser/operating system combo I use. I'm a web designer & developer, so I use the whole gamut...

You seem to be reasonably web savvy, so hopefully you can, with the aid of your site stats, sort the 403's your images are throwing. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 21:41:49 by sholls »

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 22:13:07 »
Scholls I use Firefox and can see Eristic's website, webpages and all the images on them!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 23:01:23 »
Scholls: There is security built in to the site but normal browsing should be allowed without hassle. Assuming you are not running with extreme client security with normal firewall access and not running through proxies and not trying to be naughty and browse the directories etc. the pages should all display complete with pics.

Is your browser sending normal headers or are you trying to run under a cloak?

If your system is normal and you still find problems then send me a PM giving details of browser and operating system used and ip address if known and I will check it out but 403 errors usually mean "naughty naughty, you cannot do that".

I love digging

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 00:46:52 »
Mine's at allotments.fsnet.co.uk  -  I'm on St Agnes field - which on it's bottom border (sort of east) is Horfield Prison - so at times we have very fruity comments (although they can't actually see us, it's just their 'exercise banter'!)  Our current waiting list is apparently now two years - phew! lucky I got in quite a few years ago now when allotments weren't so trendy!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 06:51:41 »
Betty, what lovely photos! keep up the good work  :D

And Robert, I love the history of your site. Are there any of the summerhouses left? And just for info it was very slow to download, it would help users if the photos were re-sized for web viewing

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 21:29:36 »
I wasn't responsible for the site, but I've noticed how slow it is too, I'll pass it along. One summerhouse remains in pretty much the original condition, one has been rebuilt, and we plan to rebuild another. From what I can make out, about a third of the plots had the brick summerhouses, and the rest had wooden ones. There was a 1930's-style wooden shed on one plot when I arrived on the site, but it was very dilapidated and soon disappeared.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 05:35:19 »
Betty, what lovely photos! keep up the good work  :D
Thank you!  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 08:08:04 »
what a great site Betty! PS give someone else a chance with the pumpkins this year!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 08:20:06 »
what a great site Betty! PS give someone else a chance with the pumpkins this year!
Thank you  :)
I think the pumpkins last year were a bit of a fluke.  I only 'found' two of them the week before the competition because they had made such a dense growth of leaves they were almost completely hidden.  I'm very lucky to have such helpful plot-neighbours because there is no way I would have been able to roll them into my wheelbarrow.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 18:51:02 »
Just looked at the guest book and seen that three of you have signed it -
thank you so much, very nice remarks too!

If anyone is thinking of making a website for their allotments,  I can recommend the website builder that I use, very easy with lots of options and it's FREE.  www.communitykit.co.uk

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 21:09:31 »
I love the Wallsall Rd website site too, Betty. Especially the photos of the plot-holders. It's so touching somehow. The photos seem to reveal a lot about the people, and yet there's lots more you don't know about them.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 21:47:29 »
We have not got a site but this has given me some encouragement to give it a go over the winter.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 07:29:51 »
I love the Wallsall Rd website site too, Betty. Especially the photos of the plot-holders. It's so touching somehow. The photos seem to reveal a lot about the people, and yet there's lots more you don't know about them.

Thank you pigeonseed, that's very kind of you.

Most people are happy to have their photo on the website but I don't insist if they are reluctant.  You might have noticed that I am not on it....... :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 08:55:38 »
Hi all,
          My sister & brother in law are lucky enough to have a plot at this site,
 http://www.thornburyallotments.com/ It is a very well run site, due to the hard work of the commitee members, & all the plot holders, Thornbury is between Bristol & Gloucester.
                                                  Adrian.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 09:05:29 »
Well Betty I still have the piccy of you sittin on yer pumpkin. I owuldn't put it on here without your permission so don't worry girl ;D Someone asked  what you were gonna do with it. I reckon you should scoop the innereds out and make a wee hoosy for yerself. You would definitely fit inside it
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 06:30:59 »
Well Betty I still have the piccy of you sittin on yer pumpkin. I owuldn't put it on here without your permission so don't worry girl ;D Someone asked  what you were gonna do with it. I reckon you should scoop the innereds out and make a wee hoosy for yerself. You would definitely fit inside it

I'd forgotten about that pic Shirl - I almost squashed the poor thing when I sat on it, no wonder it's a funny shape.  (It would need to be a few hundred pounds heavier for me to fit inside  :))
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

lightyears

• Quarter Acre
    • Holmesphotographic
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 20:05:05 »
our site doesnt have a website, but ive recently set up a group for all the allotments in norwich to use, with full support of our council. link in my signature.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal