Author Topic: Surprised by Massai Bush Beans  (Read 911 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Surprised by Massai Bush Beans
« on: July 18, 2009, 16:18:29 »
Trying Massai green bush beans for first time and very pleased with their small size, taste, completely without stringiness, they set a huge quantity of small thin-ish (but not like shoestring size) beans simultaneously and are fast to pick- a sharp tug can pull off 4 or 5 but not hurt the plant. Also the Massai don't seem to run to seed when they aren't picked immediately upon maturing.
My third succession sowing has its true leaves now and I'm thinking I should not have planted more since the first sowing continues to produce heavily. I won't be planting the bigger sized Topcrop or any like it again after tasting these Massai.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

gwynleg

• Hectare
Re: Surprised by Massai Bush Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 16:49:04 »
They sound good but havent heard of them before. Where did you get them from please? They sound like a good one for next year - how big do the bushes grow?
Thanks

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 17:25:42 »
Is it just another name for Kenya beans? I've had a similar success with them.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 19:43:05 »
The Pinetree Seed Catalogue (a US company) states about Masai beans (I misspelled it in previous, sorry)
"Small plants produce huge yields of thin, smooth, flavorful beans. Plants are only about a foot tall but are covered with 4 inch long beans, a couple dozen per plant. Several plants will provide a meal for two and due to the growth habit the harvest is quick and easy. The best bean we know of for container growing and a great choice for late summer planting. The fall yields appear to be almost as heavy as those we got in the summer."

It could well be the same thing as Kenya beans.  I'll take a pix today and post (if I can get Photobucket to perform dutifully)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 22:09:40 »

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 22:11:21 by GrannieAnnie »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal