Author Topic: Strawberry Vodka  (Read 14694 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Strawberry Vodka
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:03 »
Does anyone have a recipe for strawberry vodka? I was thinking I might go and buy a bottle of Lidls vodka as its cheap.
or any thing else I can do with them. I am making strawberry and white chocolate muffins today.
I cant believe that I am into my second year of having an allotment and I cant keep up with the amount of strawberries I am picking...this is doing my arteries no good because I have been also eating them with cream!!

My plan is the make good use of the things a grow this year unlike last year where I gave loads of veggies away.

Duke:)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Strawberry Vodka
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 13:02:40 »
Hi

Last year I made raspberry vodka and gin - which is just the raspberries, sugar (about 1lb per litre) (which you may not need with strawberries as they are sweeter than rasps!) and the gin!

I bunged them in a tall large lidded jar, every day I turned it so that the sugar was absorbed and you could no longer see any crystals and voila!

I added my raspberry  gin or vodka (I hadn't labelled them so couldn't tell which was which!!) to cheap cava wine from tesco's and it was a really pretty coloured drink - which tasted quite fruity and sparkly - had a kick like a mule tho!!

Good luck with your strawbs anyway - have you made the obligatory strawberry jam yet?

Isn't it just great to have more than you need and they cost you nothing this year!  Brilliant!

Old Bird

;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 13:22:25 »
Personally I wouldn't use lidl's paint stripper vodka, high quality ingredients will give a much better result in virtually anything you make.

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/strawberry.html

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 13:40:26 »
Thanks Old Bird and BaccyMan  ;D ;D@paint stripper

Its funny I like fresh strawberries but dont like strawberry jam!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Duke :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 13:50:31 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:39:40 »
I have just made a massive amount of strawberry vodka, in a pub pickeled egg jar (obviously washed and steralised) fill with washed, hulled strawbs add 2 wine glasses of sugar and top up with vodka, mine took just under a litre.  Put the top on and shake a bit, everytime you walk past will do, until the sugar is disolved then leave in a dark place as long as you can bear it - I managed to wait for xmas last year but I didn't know how good it was going to be then ....

Warning, it's very good, the strawbs taste of vodka and the vodka tastes of strawbs - one of those deceiving things where you don't know how strong it is until you try to walk!

Enjoy!

Helen x

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 13:03:59 »
I am just getting into making fruit liquers - a consultant working with our Company gave me a whole load of recipes this spring.

I have just started making some blackcurrant vodka, which seems to be essentially the same recipe as your strawberry vodka. I do hope it is as good as the strawberry seems to be, which I am also going to give a go now. I also have a recipe for damson gin - and have checked the tree - plenty of damsons waiting to ripen and form a lasting partnership with gin (not to lasting - but recipe says not to drink for 6 months to allow flavours to develop!)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 14:51:29 »
hello:)

Suzanne is there any chance of you posting some of your recipes ?

Duke :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 12:33:52 »
Yes - I'll pull some together tonight and see if I can get them scanned in and posted for the weekend ;D

The recipes call for glycerol which is supposed to smooth the finish, which you should be able to get from winemaking shops or internet sites - but other than its generally fruit, sugar, water and your choice of alcohol base. They do a nice cherry brandy recipe as well, for anyone with cherries.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 21:17:47 »
Yes please to the cherry brandy recipe!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 21:31:19 »
Blackcurrant liqueur (vodka)
½ lb blackcurrants
7oz sugar
3 ½ fl oz water
15 fl oz vodka
4 tsp glycerol
Wash the fruit and place in a sterilised jar (large kilner jar ideal). Boil the water, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.  Cool slightly and pour over the blackcurrants. When cool add vodka and glycerol to the blackcurrants, leave in a warm place shaking or stirring jar daily. After 14 days strain through fine muslin (jelly bag good). Let liqueur settle for a week before siphoning into clean bottles. Store for 6 months before drinking.

Cherry Brandy

14oz Morello cherries (dessert cherries too bland, but if using then also add 3 ½ oz of reducrrants)
7oz sugar
15 fl oz brandy
1 tbsp glycerol
Prick each cherry a few times with a pin or cocktail stick and leave in freezer for 24hrs. Put alternate layers of cherries and sugar in a wide-necked jar, add the glycerol and brandy and cover, swirl or stir daily for 4 weeks, before straining through muslin, squeezing the fruit gently to extract as much liquid as possible. Return to the jar to settle for a few days or until clear. Decant into small bottles and cork. Keep for 6 months before drinking

Damson Gin
14 oz Damsons
7oz sugar
15 fl oz gin
4 tsp of glycerol.
Prick each damson a few times with a pin or cocktail stick, place in freezer for 24 hours. Place frozen damsons in wide necked jar. Dissolve sugar in the gin and pour over the fruit, add the glycerol and cover. Stir daily for four weeks to diffuse flavour. Strain after four weeks through muslin and leave liquid to settle for 48 hours before siphoning into clean bottles. Store for 6 months before drinking.

Raspberry brandy
1lb raspberries
9 oz sugar
15 fl oz brandy
2 tsp glycerol
Put raspberries into a wide necked jar. Dissolve sugar in brandy at room temperature. Pour over raspberries and add glycerol. Shake or stir daily for three weeks. Strain through muslin, squeezing to extract as much liquid as possible. Return to bottle for a few days to settle – liquid should be clear not cloudy, decant into bottles and store for the obligatory 6 months before drinking

Strawberry liqueur
1lb strawberries
5 oz sugar
15 fl oz vodka
1 tbsp citric acid solution
2 tsp glycerol
Place alternate layers of strawberries and sugar in wide necked glass jar, then add citric acid solution and glycerol. Cover the fruit with vodka and after 2 days shake or sti the jar daily for next two weeks. Strain through fine muslin, squeezing the fruit to extract juice, put back in jar and leave to settle. Siphon into clean bottles and leave for six months before drinking.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 21:32:45 »
Sorry for the delay - scanner down and had to type them in.

Also I got the recipes this year - so only making them myself now, although came with a very good recommendation.

Suzanne  :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 21:49:10 by Suzanne »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 13:29:18 »
Thanks Suzanne for the recipes :)

Duke

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 09:57:24 »
yes thanks - have some morello cherries to pick this weekend!!

the_enlightened_one

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 23:23:42 »
Could i use the strawberries i froze 2 weeks ago ?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 18:00:24 »
I have a general purpose fruit booze recipe that I've used with good success.... You need a 2 pint milk plastic bottle, washed out thouroughly, put in 1 lb of fruit, 6 oz of sugar and then fill to within an inch of the top with a full strength spirit (ie 35%-40% by volume strength).... Has worked OK with raspberries and vodka, blackgerries and brandy, blackberries and white rum and bullace plums and gin.... going to try elderberries and somethign this year as well as the usual batch of sloe gin. I find it pointless buying high-quality brand names, cheapest tesco blue stripey seems fine.....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal