Author Topic: New to Pumpkins  (Read 2678 times)

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
New to Pumpkins
« on: July 02, 2009, 19:03:57 »
Hi,

This is the first year growing pumpkins and I have a few basic questions:

1. Am I ok to train the stems round in a circle before I lose control and they end up in every direction?

2. The plants at the allotment are finally showing fruits.. from nowt to loads.. am I best to pick the strongest and cut all of the other fruits and flowers off, or leave a couple per plant?

3. Any tips for feeding ?

4. Do I need to put anything under the fruit (like straw) to protect from being on the soil ?

Thanks

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: New to Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 19:23:08 »
I grow various varieties of pumpkins and squash every year but I have to admit that I don't do anything to them apart from planting them in ground prepared the previous Autumn/Spring and watering them when first planted out.

If shoots start invading the pathways, I just put a cane in the soil next to them to guide them the right way.

I don't feed them but I put lots of compost and manure on the ground some months before I plant them out.

I don't thin out the fruits, and I don't pollinate them either.

I'm quite a neglectful SquashMomma really!  But.......it works for me and there are photos of my giants on my website.

What varieties are you growing? 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 20:56:19 »
A slate/tile under the fruit can help... but after that like Betty they fend for them selves...  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 21:49:57 »
I leave them entirely to themselves except that when the stems wander too far I turn them round and send them back where they came from.

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 17:38:15 »
Thanks, will leave them to make their own way and tame where necessary ;)...we're growing a variety called Becky will see how they turn out.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:22:15 »
Thanks, will leave them to make their own way and tame where necessary ;)...we're growing a variety called Becky will see how they turn out.

I think that's the one I'm growing, four babies on the two plants currently. I'm new to pumpkins and last year we only got one fruit which made some lovely soup. Hoping for a bit more this year as Mrs Stick wants to roast some

This year dug a whole, filled it with manure and then drew up a mound of earth into which we planted the seeding

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal