Author Topic: LCD or Plasma?  (Read 1061 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
LCD or Plasma?
« on: July 14, 2009, 22:13:08 »
My TV of 7 1/2 years has now begun its journey to the electrical graveyard.  The sound is on its way out.  We are looking at 40-42" with a surround sound system.  The TV will be on a stand not wall mounted.  Which is a good choice of TV - LCD or Plasma?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: LCD or Plasma?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 22:28:22 »
Personally I am happy with my CRT which should outlast any of the flatscreen tvs on the market but would probably go for lcd if I had to buy a flatscreen.
Here are a couple of buyers guides which may help:
http://www.which.co.uk/advice/lcd-vs-plasma-tvs/index.jsp
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 22:39:18 »
We bought a Sharpe 46" Aquos LCD TV and a Samsung 5.1 DVD last year and both are pure class.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 21:09:56 »
We have a Hitachi 42"plasma, excellent screen but the reds do look a little on the orange side(common fault with Hitachi's)

The best thing to do is take a dvd of a football match( the fast moving players against green grass, is a real test) with you to a tv shop and ask them to play it on the tv you are thinking of buying. Then stand the same distance away as what you would be sitting at, at home. Also stand about 2' away and also to the side and compare the difference in picture quality.

Don't take any notice of tv's with animated films, any tv will look good displaying these, that's why they always show them.

Then go home and search on the net for the best price. Places like John Lewis price match and their electrical equipment has a 5year warranty.

www.avforums.com is very good for asking questions and looking for reviews.

Neil

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:26:47 »
I've just been through  a similar process as my 11 year old machine blew its power supply and it was going to be £150+ to fix.

LCD is the most common and is a bit cheaper. The problem with them is that individual LCDs can fail giving black speckles. A plasma doesn't do this, either the whole thing works or it dont.

LCD are better for fast moving action (football, motor racing) and for computer gaming. 100Hz machines are better still. 200Hz ? - only if you can see a difference.

1080p only comes into its own for Blu-ray videos. The current HD broadcasts (Sky and Cable) don't have enough bandwidth to display 1080p, they're more 720p. BUT technology will advance.

Contrast ratio (ie sharpness) is one of the more important things. The higher the better. When I bought my set 50,000 was the highest available. But now I believe 80,000 or even 100,000 are available.

For brands, I was told LG and Samsung are good mid market makes. The old traditional names - Toshiba, Hitachi are OK, but are slightly lacking. Sony is always good, but then you pay for it.

Prices have risen sharply within the last two months as the effect of the lower pound has worked its way through. (Contract/ item prices are agreed a good 6 months in advance)

The machine I bought was a 42LG5010 - 42" LCD, 1080p, with a contrast ratio of 15,000 for £549 in late April.
I think its a good machine and definitely superior to my old 29" tube. No problems with it yet, and I hope it will last a good few years. (my 11 year old 29" PHILIPS cost me £900, and served me well)
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 13:25:48 »
I have gone for a deal with Currys.  A 42"LG LCD  currently reduced by £300 this week. The shop quoted me £1250 for a TV and stand, Panasonic 1000watt surround sound system. The Currys on-line price came to £1100.  I phoned the Currys helpline and got the full package deal for £970 so am well chuffed. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal