Author Topic: could people inspire my DIY skills with pictures of their coops and chicken runs  (Read 8386 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
If you read my previous post you will know I want chooks.  We will be building our own (money tight  :-[).  I had planned to convert a 8' x 6' shed but after recommendation I think i will build one on stilts ( I say I... I mean we ...or should that be he...OH... lol)

I have looked at ones on line but I fancy something home made that's the Ritz hotel for chooks. also something that's big enough for lots...plan to start with 6 girls but want to be able to have more if I decide to.

Any pointers about lay out etc..eg where does one put an en suit ha ha.

Seriously if any one has pics of their Ritz coop I would be very excited to see them

FG x

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
oh i would be interested to see some home made coops. Roll on the weekend when im starting to build mine  ;D

labrat

• Quarter Acre
There's little point in showing pictures of mine that are just standard sheds from the DIY store painted autumn red. They have some home made shelves fitted in them but that's about it. The only home made stuff I have are combined coops and runs for keeping broody hens in and the resultant chicks.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
heres some things i learned over the years

keep the costs down - dont buy a new shed go on freecycle http://www.uk.freecycle.org/ or get one off local ads

dont cut the hole for the chicken in the shed door - thats for you to get in and out

cut the hole for the chickens on opposite the shed door and make it off the floor mine is 500mm - thats a deterrent for invaders and the chicks can get in and out  no probs also if you have raised bed system like me you need the variable height

choose a small shed unless you are having 50 chucks- so that you can move it around - I use some scaffolding poles with me and a mate at each end - keeps the rodents guessing

keep the shed way off the ground plent of air underneath is the watch word

i prefer the movable run option I built the run to fit snug over my raised beds

have fun

dax

elhuerto

• Acre
What we did was to buy a chicken house already made, similar to the one here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-COOP-HEN-HOUSE-POULTRY-ARK-HOME-NEST-BOX-COUP-M_W0QQitemZ150359153753QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item23021a9c59&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1686|293%3A1|294%3A50 but on legs, a little larger and a tad cheaper. Then made the run ourselves from scrap wood and chicken wire. It's been up for about 18 months now and no intrusions or escapes - cost less then 75 quid I'd say. I don't have any pics but will try to remember to take the camera next time I'm there.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

jonny211

• Acre
I knocked this up for about £100 if I remember correctly. The outside layer is cheap shiplap from B&Q and the inner layer is 6mm plywood, inbetwen the layers is a wooden frame. It seems to keep warm in winter and cool in summer!

If I did it again I'd make it a little shorter just to keep the time/cost down. Otherwise it's done me well for two years... although the roof did blow off once  ;)

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
cracking job!!

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
jonny211 That looks great. I have one question do you need to put a window in? I know you need ventilation i was planning on adding some small strips covered in chicken wire into my coop near the top but am worried about how much is to much considering warmth!

Thanks Lucy

jonny211

• Acre
I'm not sure whether they need a window. I've got a smaller version with a tiny window but the chooks don't seem to mind, the reason I put a huge one in was due to someone saying mites preferred dark houses. I'm not sure if this makes any difference but hey it gives them a view lovely south facing view of the lottie.

The door on mine is usually open bar high winds so that kind of does for my ventilation, but have found that the temperature inside went into minus numbers this winter, but then they seem to snuggle up closer and deeper into the litter. I guess face the door and ventilation away from prevailing winds but don't worry about the temperature is what I'm getting at.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Not mine - seen at Hampton Court

[attachment=1]

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Barnowl i could live there looks lovley  ;D

flowergirl

• Half Acre
WOW a gypsy style coop! i like!

Had a remeasure...my coops run will be 18' by 25'...how many chooks would this be sufficient for do you think?

I heard an horror story today about rats killing chickens....can anyone reassure me...or confirm this story  :o

Peasticks

• Half Acre
Rats would not normally be able to kill a full sized health chook, putting the house up high (at least a foot off the ground) helps, higher coops also help with cleaning out

Dog kennels with added stilts make good chicken houses  :)

Window not necessary, ventilation slits are a good idea

Overlap timber is not a good idea nor are double skinned houses or felted roofs as mites like to hide in dark cracks and gaps

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
we were told by the girls we re-homed our ex batts from it's the size of the shed, not the run  ???
our shed is 7x5 and we were allowed 18, they also have a run of 22x33, 'cause heras fencing is 11' wide  ;D

jonny211

• Acre

Had a remeasure...my coops run will be 18' by 25'...how many chooks would this be sufficient for do you think?

That's loads of space, I'd put 10 in there if you want to be innundated by eggs, or 6 to give them a bit more room, it depends on how big the house is I guess.

...and, er... who's your mate in the picture?  ;)

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Here's my layout:

Front of shed:

Perches with dropping trays:

Feeders underneath shed:

They love to hang out under the shed when the weather is rough!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Old bird

• Hectare
I copied Godfrey Robs idea and put my purpose built chicken house on stilts.

Best thing ever - thanks again Godfrey Rob!

Their feeder is under there and they can shelter from rain/wind etc.  Took them a bit of time to work out the stairs but they love it now.

I do have a small ventilation hole covered in chicken wire in mine.  I think it is good especially for the summer as it can get pretty hot in an unventilated wooden shed!

Good luck with yours - I would look at doing something like G R's - it is the business!!

Old Bird

;D

cocopops

• Acre
The size of your run sounds brilliant.  We have 17 hens in a large run but the amount of eggs we keep getting well outdoes our consumption.  We give loads away but in return we get other things in return such as veggies, clothes for the children, plants...

The only thing I will say that our lovely (but bossy) neighbour, who is a farmer, insisted that we installed an electric fence.  We now have one that runs low on the ground (1st loop) for rats and smaller predators and a higher one for the foxes.  In over a year we have had no losses from predators. 

When my daughter had rabbits and guinea pigs for her birthday we extended the fence around their run.  I do not have to put them 'to bed', and I know that nothing can get in easily.  I've had to pull a few electrocuted toads off the fence but at least I know it works.

Enjoy your hens - Cocopops

flowergirl

• Half Acre
Thanks johnny

err coop size probably going to be about 5 x 4 if we are making it from scratch, was planning to use a 8 x 6 shed but decided against that as fancy one on stilts.  Looking for design help on tinternet but not having much luck.

FG x

PS friend is 26, teacher 5'6 and very blonde :-\  really doesn't get "allotments and chooks" she thinks a nice pair of shoes, a hand bag or a lobotomy would help cure me!! ;D

flowergirl

• Half Acre
just been on your website rob....Fab!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal