Author Topic: I want to keep chickens but can only get to the allotment at tea time!  (Read 12038 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde

Can i suggest you look at this from a different angle.

You say the is a convenant about not keeping chickens on your land....?

Ok , how long have you owned the property, is it a new estate and what kinda size is the builder?.

You will proberly find that it is highly unlikely that a builder would be interested in enforcing a convenant on the property with regards to chickens.
In fact it is entirely possible to challange this.

Personally i would ask your neighbours if they had any objections to you keeping chickens and go from there...

----

Personally i wouldnt dream of keeping chickens on an allotment when you can only visit once a day, i personally would want much more intereaction with my birds and would want to check them in the morning.

Please think again about getting them to keep them on the allotment.  I know your full of good intentions i dont think its that fair on the birds.  Dont mean to sound off but just what i think

I have owned this property since 2005...the builders are Bellway homes and they are still on site.  We all (neighbours) have just had a letter threatening to take legal action saying we would be sued if we didn't move commercial vehicles (work vans) and caravans (we have regretably had to sell our lovely caravan because of this)which means we have lost holiday and partner lost job ...so chickens are def a no no!

My neighbours (middle aged posh n becks wanna Be's) would certainly not understand....they would probably be concerned that chicken feathers in their swimming pool would cause avian flu!

In an ideal world I would love to keep them in my garden, I would also love to grow my own veggies in my garden along with a couple of pigs and a cow to milk but I am not that fortunate :-[

I am not just full of good intention....I have actually requested a transfer of offices so I can be closer to my allotment...more commitment than most 

Sorry if this sounds off but my vice is my allotment...i do not do things on a whim, i look at all angles and all possibilities I research everything, i am  quite intelligent, responsible and caring and would never ever neglect any animal.

I have had enough Pm's to be reassured and i thank you all

FG X
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 21:58:28 by flowergirl »

Philbasford

• Acre
Thats a shame!, some people are such snobs!, they only want the vans moved so it makes the area look better to sell the houses.

Would it not be a good idea to wait until you can be a situation where you can check them twice a day.

Dont want to be seen as putting a downer on your plan.  I couldnt bare my girls to be away from where i can keep an eye on them.  Some people will disagree.  I think it depends on how much you see them as pets and how much you be attached to them(which we did very quickly)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
Idon't know what the future will bring...I may be spending 24/7 with them!

We wont be getting them until the spring...I just like to research things in detail! I don't think we will treat them like our dogs.....they will be pets but they wil be for a purpose..EGGS.

I will protect them and care for them all the same.

BrianK

• Not So New ...
Okay  My 2 pence worth

Chickens are actually a wild creature.  They can cope quite well on their own. I know of keepers who have egloos and all the best stuff who have lost their flock to whatever.

Once a day is enough if the run is secure. And....   as no one has mentioned.. your allotment site doesn't have a history of chicken snatching???  then your probably OK.

Don't keep cockerels though.  Not worth the agro. Just keep chookies and add to them from wherever you can if you need to.

Take them LOADS of extra scraps though.  Supplement their diet with whatever you can except the usuals  meat, eggs, onions, garlic etc.

At the end of the day let your conscience guide you. If they lay regurlaly, seem happy, eat well, have good feathers etc then your probably doing OK.

labrat

• Quarter Acre
Chickens are actually a wild creature

I disagree with that. You may as well say that everyone's pet dog or cat are also wild creatures because chickens have gone through the same centuries of breeding and close human contact that cats and dogs have. Chickens are trainable and respond well to routine though admittedly they don't have the mental capacity to do complex work like a dog. In the past I've had a few exceptional cockerels who have enjoyed fetching on command. I've had some who have been my shadows for years like any dog. My chickens always congregate from their ruminations in the same spot every day and at the right time for the season to get their tea.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal