Author Topic: how wide should paths between allotments be  (Read 17823 times)

brownowl23

• Acre
Re: how wide should paths between allotments be
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:10 »
What about the type of double buggy where one sits behind the other? Aren't they narrower?
theres not alot in it to be honest. Ive got a side by side but its the narrowest on the market, but im going to acquire a tandem, narrower by a couple of inches i'd say but far less manouveravble. My side by side is a 3 wheeler that turns on a pin.

Down side of my buggy is it has pnumatic tyres which means pucntures on brambles. I was so embarrassed last week when I got my first puncture and the guy in the bike shop removed 7 thorns!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 22:18:00 »
Hi,
I think there some off road pram tyres you could get or better still try the tyre weld as it works on road vehicles. ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 22:53:00 »
Hi,
I think there some off road pram tyres you could get or better still try the tyre weld as it works on road vehicles. ;D

never seen solid off road tyres. However tyre sealant is now a must.

My puncture was a slow one over 24 hours and I cant tell you how much I was thinking I wished i'd had tyre sealant when I was tryng to push the buggy round town with a flat. Its like driving a MPV with no power steering, speciallywhen the boy on the flat side is trying to lean over to see the flat tyre  :o

Thank heavens for bike shops though, a pram centre wanted 17 quid and a whole day to put an inner tube in. the bike shop wanted a tenner and did it on the spot with boys still in buggy.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2009, 22:57:11 »
impossible to get a double buggy down

I've heard a lot of excuses in my time but this is a new one.

Take the little b****ers out of the buggy and sit them on their grass, then lift the empty buggy over. Some of the newer models even fold up.

Erstic - as you seem to think im whinging, come on down to my allotment and show me its an excuse. i'll show you what ive got to contend with.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:26 »
You've got 2 kids. So what. Wait till you have 6. If you cannot manage both the kids and the allotment then the answer is obvious.

Give up the kids.

I'll be happy to come to your plot and sort out you, the allotment and the kids but I doubt you have the means to pay my rates.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2009, 07:20:11 »
Brownowl23 i just had an idea - try your local freecycle/car boots etc for a cheap second hand tandem buggy (front and back) because that should fit up the path.

doesnt need to be a fabby one you could use it just for the allotment.

I sympathise with you, I have a 14 month old and am 32 weeks pregnant with number 2 I will soon be looking after an allotment with two small children and a husband who isnt so interested!

Luckily our plot ends at the main road so i can park the car at the tip of my plot.

even still its going to be difficult and i must say being a newbie on this site WOW at all the negative replies when simple advice and suggestions would have worked better!!

Hope you find a good solution.
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2009, 08:37:33 »
Brownowl23 i just had an idea - try your local freecycle/car boots etc for a cheap second hand tandem buggy (front and back) because that should fit up the path.

doesnt need to be a fabby one you could use it just for the allotment.

I sympathise with you, I have a 14 month old and am 32 weeks pregnant with number 2 I will soon be looking after an allotment with two small children and a husband who isnt so interested!

Luckily our plot ends at the main road so i can park the car at the tip of my plot.

even still its going to be difficult and i must say being a newbie on this site WOW at all the negative replies when simple advice and suggestions would have worked better!!

I hope I have found a tandem buggy, but even that will be too wide for the foot wide bits of path as much as a wheelbarrow is too.

As for being a newbie and having so many negative responses, well...................... being a Moderator on another forum I have to say smart ar5es who think that they are clever being negative to newbies rather than helpful are the bane of our lives but at the end of the day it is them who are making themselves look the biggest idiots in their replies, something all can see. if thats what gives them a hit so be it ........................... me ive got Rhino hide and I just laugh at them.

Good luck with your allotment and the two little ones. Its hard work but so work it to know your giving your kids fresh veg and cheaper than supermarkets.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2009, 08:44:44 »
You've got 2 kids. So what. Wait till you have 6. If you cannot manage both the kids and the allotment then the answer is obvious.

Give up the kids.

I'll be happy to come to your plot and sort out you, the allotment and the kids but I doubt you have the means to pay my rates.

Eristic - thanks for your reply!

My kids took me 21 years and loads of IVF both here and abroad before they came along, im very lucky to have them. not every woman is lucky enough to be able to pop kids like peas in a pod.  - Give them up, heck no way!!!!!!!!!!!

Its because my kids are so precious that I want to grow my own fresh food for them and teach them to grow thier own veg and bring them up well

Before you write stupid off the cuff responses like the one above please engage brain before opening your gob.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2009, 08:49:44 »
Brownowl23 and Le-y firstly a warm welcome to A4A.

For some reason certain topics, such as this one, attract way too many negative replies which I'm sure must be off-putting for newbies.

Please don't be as we seem to going through what someone here very recently called a scratchy period! Generally most folks here are considerate and helpful. As for the few that aren't it's best to ignore them I reckon.

Take care, and happy gardening!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:52:27 by Flighty »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2009, 08:51:38 »
brownowl23 - Bloody Hell girl!  My wife and I gave up after four IVF runs and about ten years of trying - too much heartache... nice to see it working out for you.  Just think in a few years the little uns will be "helping" you down the plot..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2009, 09:02:26 »
i would just like to say WELL DONE. its is hard work when you have young children around. i just have the one 3 year old. its fab to have him around the lotti helping planting seeds like the peas etc but it is also hard to keep him interested. at the moment he`s enjoying digging up the potatoes. we have just taken on the second have of our plot and intend to build a living willow den for him for when he`s abit bored and i`v also bought him a pull a long trailer for his tools and toys (which he loves). but i must say roll on September when he goes to school full time. our plot will be spotless  ;D

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2009, 09:13:41 »
FLighty - thanks for the welcome. Like all forums there are bad eggs who would rather be negative than offer contructive help. I have seen its a scratchy period but on other threads ive looked at too there have been some very helpful people too, and people on here as well. Its a great forum which I hope I will get great advice from.

BarriedaleNick - Im a stubborn old bird, I think thats why I stuck it out for 21 years. The try before the boys cycle was supposed to be our last but it was sucessful but things didnt work out. WE decided that even though we had to scrape the barrel to find the cash to do another IVF if we didnt we would always be saying what if, if we hadnt gone again. Im so glad we did. Your right though it is a real rollercoaster.

XlynetteX - The boys already try to help in or out of the buggy, I harvested some spuds erlier in the year that had been left in the plot and the boys were replating them from thier buggy as fast as I could get them out. we now have the odd spud in amongst other things courtesy of them but hey ho thats the fun of lotties with kids. The boys go to pre school next JUne so i'll have lottie time without the boys during the day a couple of days during the week.
We tried a  tractor and trailer at a play centre at the weekend thinking this could work for the lottie but as usual they both wanted to drive.  :)

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2009, 09:45:09 »
the trailer my son has is a copy of the American 'radio flyer'.i got it through Amazom. its slightly smaller and alot cheaper. we got it because he wasn`t intersted in his tractor but pulled the trailer every where. its abit like Christmas when they are not interested in the toys and play with the boxes. :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2009, 18:04:46 »
If your tyres have removable valves, get some green slime from Halford's, and put that in them. It lasts a couple of years, and stops the punctures.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2009, 18:10:04 »
You can post pics on here brownowl and we could all see what your problem is. "A picture speaks a thousand words".
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Buster54

• Acre
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2009, 18:23:37 »
I agree with flighty, we need to welcome newbies, when I first came on I was overwhelmed with the kindness of the peeps on here and for the most part everyone is really friendly and helpful.  I didn't visit for a while and since coming back i have noticed there are some who seem to enjoy being unpleasant - these people are not representative of most of the contribtors here.

So welcome Brownowl I hope you sort out your access problem
Good luck with the impending new arrival le-y -
And good on yer all of you who are teaching the future generation about growing good food!

Lushy x

Make mine a large one!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2009, 09:01:32 »
Brownowl,
                 Do you know anyone with any DIY or mechanical knowledge, if so why don't you get old of an old Pram/Buggy from a second hand shop or freecycle take the body off  down to the chassis and then cut the axles/ chassis to the width of your path, you can then attach/fix two car child seats to the chassis behind each other, problem solved, :)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:48 »
Make one walk stick the other in one of these

http://www.liftruck.co.uk/sacktrucks.html
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal