Author Topic: Smoking???  (Read 11082 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Smoking???
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 16:59:43 »
Speaking as a non-smoker and taxpayer for over 25 years... BaccyMan can have a website in the public domain on anything he wants that isn't illegal.  :-X

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 17:33:02 »
As far as I am concerned Baccyman is perfectly within his rights to own and run any website he wants.  The cultivation of tobacca is perfectly legal and technically you still have to pay duty on smokable tobacco.  There is plenty of sites I find objectional - proanna sites for example - but I dont advocate blanket bans. I'm not a child and I don't need other people to decide what I read and see.

BTW Good luck - keep giving up!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 19:24:04 »
Baccy Man, you are far worse than 'the average smoker' as you own a website with the sole purpose of advocating people grow tax free tobacco & therefore contribute nothing to the state for the healthcare they will inevitably require. Such websites are in very poor taste & should not be allowed in the public domain.

Actually I don't own that forum I moderate it, I may have more say in how the site is run than other members do but I also have more responsibilities towards the site.
The primary purpose of the site is actually to provide information on how to grow & process tobacco for those who are interested in the subject whatever the reason they are choosing to grow it. Financial savings are just one of many reasons people may choose to grow tobacco & coincidentally not all members of that forum smoke. I have never & never will encourage anyone to smoke.

If you don't like the content on any website then there is a very simple solution, don't view it.
If you don't like me then there is an ignore button below my avatar pic, press it & you will never see one of my posts here again. I have better things to do than get into petty arguments I am sure you do too.

...the healthcare costs for any smoking related illnesses could easily be covered by the revenue raised on tobacco products if the government actually allocated that money to the NHS
As you clearly know the revenue raised is not directly used to fund NHS treatment, therefore my earlier comments with regard to the burden placed on British taxpayers to fund NHS treatment for self inflicted health problems of smokers are perfectly valid.

...virtually impossible to come up with a figure of what a smoker costs & contributes vs a non smoker..
Actually it is very simple to quantify, a smoker will always cost more & contribute less than a non smoker.

As said earlier these conversations go round in circles, I really don't see any point discussing the subject further. This thread is supposed to be about MickW giving up smoking how about we get back on topic.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 19:40:49 »
Was going to say the same as you Baccy man this thread is about Mick and his challenge to give up, we should be encouraging him and being supportive.  I've only been back on here for a couple of days and I wonder - Is it me or are there some stroppy postings going on lately?

Lushy x

Lets keep the vibes good!
Good luck Mick
Make mine a large one!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 19:50:50 »
how is it going today?
ok i hope
lbb

Its going well thanks.

I think I'll give up the inhaler, I never know when its empty or full so I don't see the point.

£35 now in the pot.  :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 20:16:55 »
well done Mick
its been over a year now for me about 16 months but i have stopped counting the days now
it does get easier and one day you wont even think about lighting up
then you know you have won
lbb

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 23:10:57 »
Baccy Man, you are far worse than 'the average smoker' as you own a website with the sole purpose of advocating people grow tax free tobacco & therefore contribute nothing to the state for the healthcare they will inevitably require. Such websites are in very poor taste & should not be allowed in the public domain.
I started smoking a couple of years ago, not least because of the shrill, hysterical hectoring that smokers get.  It's my choice, deal with it.  I'm growing my own this year - tax free - from seed I bought off the internet.  Incidently, home-grown is less addictive and less harmful.

Mick, best of luck quitting if that's what you want to do.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 08:24:16 »
Hope you have another good day today Mick ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:33 »
Hope it goes well... another couple of bags of Multi...  :)

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 18:09:28 »
Hows it going today Mick?
Make mine a large one!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 18:48:33 »
Our son-in-law was assaulted 4 years ago & he was in intensive care for 5 weeks, almost died on several occasions. The first things he asked for when he came round was a cigarette & a pint. He will give up when he's ready.
Good luck Mick :)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 22:55:22 »
Hows it going today Mick?

It was my brothers internment today (burying his ashes) which I thought would test my willpower but I never once wanted to light up.  :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 23:09:58 »
Good on ya, Mick  8).

Tricia

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 19:08:17 »
Good luck Mick from a non smoker, if you start to waver Mick count the cash in the pot.       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 19:11:53 »
Good Luck, Mick, it's hard but worth it.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 19:35:35 »
Hello Sinbad7 !! still a smoke-free zone?
Go for it mick, if I can....................... ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 19:43:54 »
And if I can, well you can  ;D  ;D  ;D

Hi tonybloke, glad you are still smoke-free. 

Been really hard at times and I shout most days now  ;D  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2009, 09:47:38 »
Its been a few years since I stopped but it only seems like yesterday. I really did not think that I could survive without the cigs. Just goes to show don't it. Keep up the good work MIck. If you can get through stuff like that without givin in then you will get through anything.
                             I want em saying

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2009, 10:37:11 »
How is it going Mike
                             I want em saying

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2009, 11:11:56 »
Its going very well thanks shirlton, I just bought an 8ft dining table with chairs on ebay with the money I've saved so far.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal