Author Topic: Removal of all leaves on Tomato plants  (Read 14625 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Removal of all leaves on Tomato plants
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 22:53:35 »
I've taken off the bottom leaves plus some that shade specific tomatoes so sunlight hits the toms- it seems to ripen them faster (I think). 
 BUT this is only done to a few plants to hurry them along. The rest I leave to go at their own pace.

GA the sun does not turn a tomato red,it turns in darkness with the aid of a bit of humidity.
Hope you did not take of to many leaves in one go.
from the internet: "Another factor in how long it takes for a tomato to turn red is the outside temperature. Tomatoes will only produce lycopene and carotene, two substances that help a tomato turn red, between the temperatures of 50F and 85F. If it is any cooler that 50F, those tomatoes will stay a stubborn green. Any warmer than 85F and the process that produces lycopene and carotene comes to a screeching halt."

"Tomatoes are triggered to turn red by a chemical called ethylene. Ethylene is odorless, tasteless and invisible to the naked eye. When the tomato reaches the proper green mature stage, it starts to produce ethylene. The ethylene then interacts with the tomato fruit to start the ripening process. Consistent winds can carry the ethylene gas away from the fruit and slow the ripening process."  Maybe when the sun strikes the tomato it turns red faster because it heats the tomato up a bit?  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! ;D

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Mojo_77

• Not So New ...
    • My Photos
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 18:41:41 »
Is ethylene the same chemical that bananas produce that ripens fruit?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 18:47:16 »
Is ethylene the same chemical that bananas produce that ripens fruit?
Probably. I know ripe apples make ethylene which is why putting an apple in a bag of some other fruit you want ripened will speed up the ripening process.

Mojo_77

• Not So New ...
    • My Photos
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 18:49:56 »
Useful to know.  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 22:24:57 »
Consistent winds can carry the ethylene gas away from the fruit and slow the ripening process

Perhaps this is why my tomatoes are not ripening, they are in a very windy position.  though I ought to have some ripe by now.

Think I might show them a ripe tomato and see if they get the idea. ;D ;D

Bananas are supposed to be high in ethylene.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 22:41:24 »
Consistent winds can carry the ethylene gas away from the fruit and slow the ripening process

Perhaps this is why my tomatoes are not ripening, they are in a very windy position.  though I ought to have some ripe by now.

Think I might show them a ripe tomato and see if they get the idea. ;D ;D

Bananas are supposed to be high in ethylene.
Maybe it is the variety? We have ripe Polfast and Black Krim but Tigerella though absolutely loaded with all sizes is just not ripening and the fruits are much smaller than the first two.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal