Author Topic: Pea Netting  (Read 1013 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Pea Netting
« on: July 12, 2009, 15:25:05 »
I have all of my peas covered with netting to deter the birds.

My neighbour does not. His peas are around a week or so older than mine.

Do I need to keep my pea plants covered throughout the season, or do I remove the nets when they are established?

They are Kelvedon Wonder.

amphibian

Re: Pea Netting
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 16:17:35 »
I just cover the seedlings, because pigeons eat them to the ground.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 17:32:00 »
I normally have to protect seeds, but not seedlings. Thus year's been an exception, and the sky rats have been chewing on them something awful. I've got netting wrapped round the wigwams for the time being, more to scare them off for a week or so than anything. Once they move on to something else, I'm hoping they won't come back. The peas soon grow far enough for the juicy shoots to be out of reach, and then they should be safe till the peas are in the pod. I'll inevitably lose some then, but it's a bit difficult to net six foot peas!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 18:58:29 »
we put a chicken wire cover over for a couple of weeks when we transplant them..we then stand it up to support them  :)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 20:53:39 »
I start mine off in cells and transplant at about 2 inches to grow up chicken wire - we have lots of pigeons but I've never had a problem. Sow them direct though, and something takes the lot before they can even germinate.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 21:52:55 »
I used to have to protect the pods with netting because one species of bird life (never sure which) used to slash the pods and empty them.

That died out, and I was able to grow without any protection for several years, but after our last cat died I`ve had to net against mice after sowing, and now the pheasants have found my garden I`m having to keep the nets on until the plants are nearly a foot tall.

skyblu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:30 »
I didn't cover mine at all this year - but have learnt my lesson.  Pigeons weren't a problem but Pea Moths were.  They have pretty much devastated the whole crop.
http://packdoughty.wordpress.com/  gardening and greyhounds....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal