Author Topic: recycled grenhouse - no plans  (Read 1998 times)

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
recycled grenhouse - no plans
« on: July 10, 2009, 13:38:24 »
help needed here!

i am chuffed to bits - I just got a aluminium greenhouse off freecycle

issue is i am not sure how the beautiful article goes together - it was already in bits

any ideas also how do the w shaped clips work

are there any common sense tips out there that can help me make a proper job of it

should i wash it before erection  - clean the glass before etc etc etc

cheers!

dax

ourdai

• Not So New ...
  • Old allotmenteers never die, they just run to seed
Re: recycled grenhouse - no plans
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 14:01:08 »
If you were near Maidstone I would come and help you, I've recycled 3!

Clean it first, it is pain doing it later, use a kitchen scourer or something quite abrasive like a fine sanding block with lots of water.

Identify the bits, the angled ends give a clue to where they go.

The apex (top of the roof) goes in from the inside.

The rubber gasket is not essential but is recommended, you can buy a roll of it from Halls etc if you are missing lots of it.

Obviously the glass goes in from the outside, start at the bottom and do the entire row then do the second row followed by the roof, first row then second.

The 'W' clips are quite sharp but I find it easier to use fingers rather than pliers. Put one prong into the groove in the frame, push the flat part against the glass and then clip the other prong into the groove.

Good Luck, it is really not that difficult.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 14:28:54 »
Do you know who made it? Assembly instructions can often be downloaded free from the manufacturers website.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 15:31:21 »
Bought a greenhouse off Ebay and disassembling it this weekend - should be fun !

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 15:50:03 »
I'd say if you can get someone to show you "in the flesh" just to get you started. Me and the OH put a new one up with instructions several years ago and it took us days.....Last year a friend down the lottie helped OH assemble a "scavenged" one for another plotholder and because he'd done it before he taught OH loads of tips and now he does em on his own :)The written word is all very well but a man with experience..priceless :D
sanity is overated

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:06 »
main advice is make sure it is 'square', by measuring corner to corner in both directions, also don't put it on a totally level base, it will help with rainwater collection if the guttering has a very slight 'fall'
good luck! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

boltonlad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 20:29:48 »
oooh lovely messing about with second hand greenhouses.  I got one of ebay was chuffed a 10'x14' for £105 thought I had cracked it.  Took me two days to get down and a week to get put up with all the breezeblocks and everything.  But got their in the end and would not have it any other way.  their was a problem with mine that the uprights holes did not match up to the roof strut holes, so they are slighly out of line, so think mine was something that was scrapped together from bits.

Someone on here has already said check that it is square by checking the diagonal corner to corner if measuring both ways they should come up with the same measurement diagonally.  If its of then one will be longer than the other.  However if it is just a standard 8' x 6' mine looking out my back door now, has 5' sides.  The other tip build the sides and the ends first, put an end together with a side and then work round, finishing of with the top bar and struts to it.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:41:04 »
Some great help here

Its really appreciated esp based on your experiences - priceless

Thanks

I will get the stuff I need this week and plan to get it all put together at the weekend

Dax

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal