Author Topic: squash white bush scallop - anyone tried these?  (Read 2315 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
squash white bush scallop - anyone tried these?
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:30:33 »
Does anyone grow these? They're white pattypan summer squash.

I sowed loads and only two germinated. They have been very very slow to establish as plants. One has had no fruit at all and the other has set only one fruit.

I wondered whether I've had some poor quality seed or perhaps they're always a bit like this.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: squash white bush scallop - anyone tried these?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:10:39 »
I'm growing Pattison Blanc. which is a white pattypan squash. I sowed 4 in pots - only one germinated. This has not produced yet, but has suddenly mushroomed (not really the right word eh?) and has had its first male flowers. Confident it will produce soon. I have always found pattypan slower to establish than ordinary courgettes.

I also bunged 2 seeds directly into the ground in early June. Both germinated and are growing well!

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:12:15 »
There was a bit of chat about these last week.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,53615.0.html

I get the impression they can be hit 'n' miss.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:44 »
i have yet to grow these but have grown the yellow and green varieties before and generally fine the patty pans are slow to start fruiting but when they do they soon make up for their tardiness.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:42:57 »
I grew yellow pattpan last year and they were fairly productive, though not wildly so.
So it does sound like pattypan are a bit hit-and-miss, you're right.

I think next year I'm going to grow something more reliable and early. I chose a lot of interesting and tasty veg, but the trade-off is sometimes you get a bit envious, looking at other people's plots if they grow earlier stuff!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:15:36 »
I am growing a pattypan type called Sunburst no fruit and hardly any flowers yet but a healthy looking plant. To be honest I am quite happy its behind my regular green and yellow courgettes.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:22:45 »
pigeonseed: Think how nice it will be when other peoples plots have run out of stuff and you are cropping. As Tim always says - succession - although personally I never get it quite right  ::)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 22:33:16 »
pigeonseed: Think how nice it will be when other peoples plots have run out of stuff and you are cropping.

Yes - you're right!  :)

The succession thing is a real art - takes years to get the hang of it I think. And then each year can bring different results anyway, depending on weather etc - I've also never mastered it. I have to get used to my current garden and allotment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal