Author Topic: bites  (Read 2597 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
bites
« on: July 08, 2009, 21:55:54 »
i have reveived several bad bites or stings at my allotment recently,the last one on monday caused my ankle to swell.i'm on anti biotics now would you believe.

anyone else had this problem

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: bites
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 22:07:12 »
I go like that with horse fly bites, end up on medication..hope it clears up soon for you  :)
I bought a pen-type thing to dab on them while I'm on the plot, it worked on 2 wasp stings last week  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 22:11:17 »
I went to York last weekend and was bitten by everything... must be able to smell Lancastrians!!   ::)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 22:35:23 »
I went to York last weekend and was bitten by everything... must be able to smell Lancastrians!!   ::)

;D ;D I got bitten in York on Sunday too- and stung by a wasp in Tadcaster today!Discovered I have a wasp's nest in my allotment greenhouse-just hope the council hwill pay to get rid of it as it's on their land! 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:54:44 »
I now react really badly to mozzie bites, but horsefly bites are the worst! You can get a little 'clicker' from Boots that really helps take the sting and itch out of bites, it zaps a small electric current throught it which helps stop your body having such a huge reaction to it so it resolves much quicker. Much better than any creams etc. I've tried. A hot cup of water/tea etc. held against the bite works on the same principle, but you have to be really canny with the timing or you end up with burns as well.......... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:11:05 »
Horse fly bites are the very worst.I have only ever had one and it felt just like a ciggie end had fallen on to me arm. nasty little buggers
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 09:40:35 »
Funny this thread is here, on Tuesday night I went to teh allotment to  hunt for slugs, I was bitten by something on my hand and ankle and calf. At work yesterday I had a turn, felt dizzy, started sweating, genuinely thought I was coming down with flu, my hand swelled up like a balloon, it looks like a baby's hand now, with dimples instead of protrusions were the knuckles are. I cannot make a fist, my ankle is so swollen I cannot put my socks on.

Always been fairly reactive to bites, but this is in a different league.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37:50 »
yep

me too! - I seem to react more as each season passes ants and horse flies being my undoing!

i use Avon's skin so soft to repell them generally

but some just bite anyway

its the nature of things I guess

i'd rather be bitten and stung than be stuck in the house!

dax

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 12:10:51 »
We always apply mud smeared on any stings and it really works. My youngest son was stung 3 times by wasps on the hand last Summer whilst scrumping figs and it sorted it out there and then.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 13:26:33 »
Horse flies are particularly nasty, I was watering in my home greenhouse last year in shorts, and only noticed I'd been bitten as it flew off leaving two small puncture wounds and blood running down my ankle! Ended up on antibiotics for that one despite quick heat treatment..... >:( Oh, and I don't wear shorts anymore either, which is no small loss! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 16:14:38 »
I rub onion on my bites and the itching goes away almost immediatly, preventing them is another thing, I have resently found my lost repelliant in the shed, so I'll have to try it out as it seemed to work OK last year.  ???      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sambucus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 05:51:14 »
Neem based products are good but I find catnip ones are better.
Catnip is very easy to grow, here are a couple of recipes to try.

CATNIP MOSQUITO SPRITZ
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS

2 cups catnip, stemmed
3-4 cups mild rice vinegar
Rinse herbs, roll lightly with a rolling pin, then place them in a clean quart jar and cover with vinegar. Seal jar and store in a dark cupboard for two weeks.
Shake jar lightly every day or so for two weeks. Strain into a clean jar, seal and refrigerate for up to 6 months unused.
To use, spritz on exposed skin and around outdoor dining area.

CATNIP AND ROSEMARY MOSQUITO CHASING OIL
MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS.

2 cups catnip, stemmed
1 cup rosemary, cut in 6-inch sprigs
2 cups grapeseed oil or any light body-care oil
Roll herbs lightly with a rolling pin and pack into a clean jar. Cover with oil, seal jar and place in a cool, dark cupboard for two weeks.

Shake jar lightly every day or so for two weeks. Strain into a clean jar, seal and refrigerate for up to 8 months unused.
To use, rub on exposed skin.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal