Author Topic: beans-or the lack  (Read 4671 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: beans-or the lack
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 22:56:52 »
No problems here!, runners doing well enuff to come 1st at local show!! (loads of bumble bees about, as usual I have a nest on my plot) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 23:02:00 »
Panic.
I just had a look at one of my runner plants and it has wilted beyond help.
The flowers have dropped and the beans have shrivelled up.
Unsure what has happened to it.
Oh well there is always more coming along, and you cant get it right all the time. :(

Got them back now to put some tread on them

liefste

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 23:37:30 »
I have planted far too many bean seed and they are all growing like the triffids.. I sowed french runners first into pots, then planted out late April and they have produced a harvest already. Then i sowed direct another type of French and English climbing bean ( somebody on the plot gave me the seed ) not sure what they are but they have delicate pink blush colour flowers like on the other french runners, and they are looking sooo healthy and have started to set.. Then i sowed my main crop of Runner beans direct into the soil, late April, and they are extremely healthy and are bushing out like mad.. loads of flowers on all the beans. I have another bed with Runners beans that the same person gave to me as plants and they are growing like mad too, really thick shoots. Everyone elses beans seem to be slow, and everyone asks me what have i done to them.. I just gave them a good soil structure to start with and maybe thats what they like.. I don;t dig any trenches i just put them in.. My Mother always grew great tasting succulent beans so maybe its hereditory..... ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 07:57:45 »
My dwarf fench are doing great and I'll be picking the 1st lot this week, the climbers and runners are sporadic and show no signs of beans yet. Don't really understand why the difference but will enjoy what I pick this week anyway  :D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 16:23:21 »
Oh and here was I thinking that at last I got a GREAT bean crop! OK i have got some blackfly on some of them, but I just wash it off the beans once I have picked them!
I am growing Yellow Kingswax, some Fin des Bagnols dwarfs and first time, Cobra French Climbers and they are fab! I will definitely get them again, and they were really cheap from Alan Romans.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 17:06:28 »
Cobra....climbing french...terrible germination % less than half and many of the plants that grew were distorted, I now think it was the fault of the potting mix however they're doing well now they're planted out and i have lots of flowers and had a handful of beans and i can see lots more coming. They grow quite quickly once they've formed.

nittynora

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 22:00:42 »
climbing french beans doing OK..... purple podded and blue lake are setting beans.

just sowed a few runners at the weekend - are these too late??

(have been reading about "succession" and trying to extend the crop)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 22:26:50 »
I'm only growing Blauhilde(sp?) this year. The slugs gave them a hard time of it to start with and it's a good job I had plenty of spares to plant. They've climbed to about 7 feet but look quite weedy and no flowers yet. I keep telling myself there's time yet.

midnightvelvet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 02:29:04 »
I'm only growing Blauhilde(sp?) this year. The slugs gave them a hard time of it to start with and it's a good job I had plenty of spares to plant. They've climbed to about 7 feet but look quite weedy and no flowers yet. I keep telling myself there's time yet.

I am also growing Blauhilde as well as some others which were given to me...but they're all a bit weedy.  Will keep feeding and watering and see what happens....its a big learning curve isn't it???  ::) ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal