Author Topic: 2009 Potato yields  (Read 1104 times)

amphibian

2009 Potato yields
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:45:36 »
So, how are people doing on yield this year? I've dug and nearly used all my first earlies now so can give my definitive lbs/ft of foot yields.

I'm in sunny Kent, growing in a dry stony free draining silty loam.

Mimi: have to say I won't be bothering with Mimi again, they're tasty potatoes, but they are so small and the yield was low, I just know the area is going to be volunteer avenue next year.

Riviera are great, they are the best baking first earlies I have ever grown, and I'm a huge eater of baked spuds. Early diggings were disappointing, you don't get a huge number of spuds per plant, but they grow big later, don't think I'd grow this variety for early first early use, if you see what I mean.

Mimi: 1lb 1oz/ft
Riviera: 4lb 7oz/ft

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: 2009 Potato yields
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:01:34 »
I finished the last of my Rocket last night (with grilled salmon and parsley sauce).  I`m afraid I never thought of weighing them, but by cropping each of my 6 plants 3 times I persuaded them to last me from mid May until yesterday.

Today I start on the Sharpes Express

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 22:14:29 »
I grow 10 potato plants in each of four 8ftx4ft raised beds, all different varieties.

The first to crop were Pentland Javelin which I dug early between 12th and 22nd of June.
On 22nd June the bed was replanted with leeks hence my enthusiasm for getting them eaten quickly despite the low yield due to the late planting (7th April) and low rainfall (112.5mm - only 19.8mm of that fell in the last 3 weeks and barely wet the leaves)

10 plants 5.57Kg       = 557g per plant
16 feet (2x 8ft rows) =  348g per foot

On 4th July I dug a "Nicola" up and the potatoes weighed 2.498 Kg (having had the benefit of a further 52.9mm of rain) . It will be 2 weeks before I dig any more and after the rain we have been getting  while I am in Nice the yeild will be much higher.

The other two are Cara and Charlotte.

My wife does not eat potatoes so I do not have to grow many.

midnightvelvet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:20:02 »

I grew too many last year, being new and over keen, so this year I planted fewer varieties.  Have eaten the Arran pilot now...they really are great and I will grow them next year too although the yield was low due to me planting in a small container.  i like Cahrlotte too and have just started on those although a couple more weeks will benefit them, then I have Pink Fir Apple which I grown for someone else as I'm not keen and for the firt time, I've planted King Edwards and will report back later in the year when I see what I can harvest.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal