Author Topic: Kitchen  (Read 3352 times)

ken (69)

• Acre
Kitchen
« on: October 04, 2004, 11:01:09 »
Since setting fire to the kitchen a couple of years ago (went to work, forgot the pressure cooker), I've relied on machines that switch off automatic...so...Microwave and a toaster, a kettle of course. Too old to take on The Raeburn (note the capitals) again .I used it for years,heating and cooking, marvellous things. Burn anything, wood, old shoes bits orf the garden. It's a case of plucking up courage to use a modern device.What should I buy.. all electric, all gas or a bit of both.I suppose gas convenient if a power cut ...Regards Ken

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:03:18 »
Gas for me! I hate cooking on electric, just not instant enough for me, and it continues to cook when you turn it off! and as you say, and as I have experience of, very handy in a power cut! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 14:44:19 »
Ken,

whatever you're happiest with really, they all cook. If I was having an ideal cooker it would have electric ovens, a gas grill,  a couple of gas rings and a couple of electric. Gas for boiling & frying, electric for simmering. And a sane timer that doesn't ping the buttons all over the kitchen >:(

Jeremy

Jendaffodil

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 14:52:51 »
Ken

If I was chosing I would go for a gas hob, for the controlability, and an electric oven for the timer. If you are worried about forgetting to turn it off could you set it to turn off automatically each time?  You can get cookers that are a combination of both now.  That's what I am going for next time.

Jenny

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 16:09:52 »
Can't beat dual fuel for cooking, Ken.  Gas hob and electric oven(s).  

Inherited our kitchen with the house and the previous owner boxed in the gas supply behind a run of units and put a nasty, ultra cheap electric hob in.  Can't run to the cost of a new kitchen at the mo so could you come and set fire to mine so that I can claim a new one on insurance please?   ;) ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 17:20:02 »
Ken I've got gas hob and electric oven and I find that combination ideal. But if you're buying new, buy the best you can afford. My oven is the cheapest one money can buy (came fitted in a new-build house) and the oven is rubbish. The door doesn't have a perfect seal so all the hot air escapes and the elements keep burning full blast to keep the temp up, this results in uneven cooking and often buring. Our previous house where we chose and fitted the oven ourselves, we bought a fan assisted oven and the best we could afford. It was lovely and made cooking and baking a pleasure.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 08:39:13 »
Thank you muchly...that's what I'll get.Gas hob and electric oven.Gas already laid on and 30amp socket nearby.Saw s/h one in Tesco for sale cabinet Sanussi digital with gas top, nothing about a hood..£230...gotta compare now with new prices.Looking forward to cooking toad in the hole with roast pots, l ightly cooked carrots and steamed cabbage with rich onion gravy.....Shepherds Pie.....Haddock done in  milk...Lancashire Hotpot...remember it as layers of onion and potato slices and something else. Baked  Bramleys..Norfolk Dumplings....yummy...Many thanks..Regards Ken

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 12:06:36 »
Ken,

my mum & dad have that combination by Zanussi and are generally pretty happy with it. The ovens are builtin and of them is a fan come grill -all sort of fancy stuff you can do with it. The only downside with it is that it seems to cool itself down by blowing hot air in the kitchen -can get like a boiler room in there when they're doing a summer roast. May not be a problem for you though.

Just one point, my folks are getting on and the oven is not the simplest thing to operate (unlike an old fashioned one where you just turn it to the temp. you want), they ended up getting stiffed for a 40 quid callout for someone to come and press the button to reset it.

Jeremy

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 13:45:09 »
Hi Jeremy..sounds omnibus....will go and look at it anyway..can only learn..maybe something simpler.Ta

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 23:16:47 »
Hi Ken when are we all coming to lunch with all those lovely things you are going to cook, sounds YUMMY. Electric fan oven is the business for cooking . ;D

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 08:36:13 »
Hi Rosebud...Elastic trickery fan..got that. Can't beat a good Yorkshire.When we were kids (9 of us) that's what we lived on.Main course on a Sunday was Yorkshire pudding ,then roast beef with Yorkshire Pudding and for afters Yorkshire Pudding with jam....then we took it in turns to wash up, dry, and put away.The good old days.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal