Author Topic: picking tomatoes  (Read 1909 times)

staris

• Acre
picking tomatoes
« on: July 08, 2009, 23:15:26 »
my tomatoes on my plants have just started to turn red but they feel a little bit soft i tried one today and they have a ball of seeds inside ,does this mean they are not ready or are they over ripe  :)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
Re: picking tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:21:11 »
Sounds a little like botrytis. Have you noticed any grey mould around the area of the fruit? The fruit should be firm whilst ripening and of fairly even colouring. Any more info would help.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 15:38:44 »
Do they look like this

[attachment=1]

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

staris

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 19:28:10 »
yes davy that's exactly what they look like.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:14 »
That is exactly how they should be all tomatoe,s have seed in them if they are not hydbred (F1) then you can save some seed for next year.
A ripe tomato should have a little give in it when squeezing so enjoy the fruits of what you have waited so long for.

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 18:25:31 »
You can perfectly well save seed of F1's. You'll have a variable crop the second year, and if you pick your favourite to save seed from, and do this for several years, you'll have your own variety. Toms are inbreeders so it couldn't be easier!

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 19:29:55 »
You can perfectly well save seed of F1's. You'll have a variable crop the second year, and if you pick your favourite to save seed from, and do this for several years, you'll have your own variety. Toms are inbreeders so it couldn't be easier!

It's great fun, saves all the hassle of making crosses too and skips the sometimes boring F1 phase. Someone doing it for te first time may be very surprised at the results, you can get all manner of colours and shapes of tomato from seed saved from an F1 red globe cherry.

It's also worth growing seed from shop bought toms, we had a delicious grape sized plum tomato from lidl, we saved seed and sowed this year, so far there has been no visible segregation, but maybe some will become apparent when the fruit ripens.

However, many so called F1s produce no segregation at all, seems those seed companies are prone to lying just to justify their high prices and to discourage us saving the seed.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 20:44:36 »
Yes perhaps i should of said that you can save the seeds from F1s but dont expect to get the same type of tomato  that the seed came from.
Its something i never do with F1s and yet i never fail to take my seeds from my heritage.

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal