Author Topic: First Outdoor Toms?  (Read 2059 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
First Outdoor Toms?
« on: July 06, 2009, 19:01:05 »
We ate our first one today... a Sungold, divided between 3 of us - didn't go far but it's a start! Sown 15/02/09

So, who's had what, and when did you sow them? Might help to plan next year's choices...

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
Re: First Outdoor Toms?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 19:05:51 »
Started to crop my Hundreds and Thousands last week, shame none make it to the house, oh so bite size!

Looking at the ones starting to ripen i dont think thats really going to be a problem, apt name for them.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 19:06:31 »
i have toms formed but none ripened yet sown in 7th march there about 24" now some 36" but yet to see a red one

Roma ,Black Cherry , Beefstake  and Money maker  

philipnj

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 19:18:16 »
i'm growing toms as well. shirley, beafsteak and gardens delight.but all still green

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 22:52:38 »
see the 'tomato progress report 2009' thread in 'under glass'
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,49640.120.html
You couldn't make it up!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 23:31:37 »
I've GD outside just going red i'm trying tomorrow can't wait.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:06:09 »
see the 'tomato progress report 2009' thread in 'under glass'
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,49640.120.html

I did Tony, but the "glass" bit rules some of the less fortunate out...  :P

Ah, I see your whippersnapper now...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:30:51 by OllieC »

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:33:02 »
Sungold looks like being the first  - they've gone yellow but aren't quite ripe. Sown in root-trainer on 14th Feb. Potted on in April and put outside late April. Planted out up at the allotment some time in May.

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 21:58:59 »
We've had three so far, ate first one on 5th, here is a picture of the first. It was sown on the 12th February. Planted out in the ground in Mid April. Survived two frosts.

It's a Latah. It amazed me, because the flavour has changed dramatically from a typical Latah, the taste of this tom was heavy, deep and beefsteaky, even though the tomato is only a titch. It tasted like a cooked tomato in flavour, intense and aromatically savoury. I have grown tomatoes for years and have grown dozens of varieties and eaten this particular variety every year, but genuinely, this little beast was the best tomato I have ever eaten.

The other two came from a different Latah plant and were not as good. I will of course be saving seed from my Tasty Latah, though the fruit was virtually seedless and was nearly all flesh.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 22:02:09 by amphibian »

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 13:14:19 »
I agree re Latah being perhaps a little insipid (after 2 years I'm trying Siletz and Purple Ukraine instead). Perhaps the seed from another variety sneaked into your sowing.

Anything as early as a Latah but better tasting has got to be worth seed-saving  :)

amphibian

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 16:30:21 »
My latah is curious, it looks the same as the other Latah plants that I am growing, but tastes different.

It is not a seed mix-up as I only grow two determinate cultivars and they look quite different, it is unlikely to be a cross as it was saved from a determinate plant and is itself determinate, I only grew one determinate cultivar in the year I saved the seed. It is unlikely to be an environmental effect as other Latah, grown alongside this one, taste like normal Latah.

So i may have a sport, or there may have been some heterozygousity in the original seed, purchased many years ago. I half remember there being a discussion about unexpected Latah results from seeds in the past.

My Latah are normally ribbed, green shouldered and oblate, many pictures of Latah on the internet show a smooth globe shaped cherry tomato.

I really hope this taste is repeated in other fruit from this plant and can be selected for in future generations, it was phenomenal flavour, almost tasted herby and tomatoey at once, like a herby tomato sauce.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 16:37:51 »
Still waiting for my 1st outdoor tom, no greenhouse so have to wait. Plenty of flowers and a few small very green toms. Growing cherry toms
But my neighbour (who I gave some of my spares to) has had several !!! Now there's gratitdue for ya  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 18:38:20 »
Gartenpearle, Whippersnapper, sungold... first two in baskets...  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 12:05:50 »

I really hope this taste is repeated in other fruit from this plant and can be selected for in future generations, it was phenomenal flavour, almost tasted herby and tomatoey at once, like a herby tomato sauce.

Well, if you save enough seed for a swap I'd be happy to participate  :) (I've around 70 varieties).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal