Author Topic: Elderflower champagne  (Read 13403 times)

greenfists

• Half Acre
Re: Elderflower champagne
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 22:42:05 »
My batch is now under way. If it has no alcohol in it why is it fermenting/
Also made 3 litres of elderflower cordial as an experiment.
Got to say, its lovely.
Off to tramp the fields again at the weekend to gather some flowers for more cordial.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 23:01:11 »
I made mine last weekend...http://fennelandfern.co.uk/2009/05/25/elderflower-champagne/
Made it at parents' house, where my father regaled me with many tales of running out onto the balcony with bottles of homemade champagne which were about to pop! Now he unscrews the caps every couple of days to let the gas out...

I have to admit that I prefer elderflower cordial..it reminds me of sitting in a cafe in Exeter with lots of dear friends when I was a student. Might go and make some of that as well.
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

denis trundle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 17:05:55 »
Is it possible to make elderflower wine rather than champagne? :)

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 12:49:07 »
I think I've sourced an elder tree, I'll give this a go sometime soon (maybe later).

If you measure the specific gravity as the sugar is added and after the brew finishes you can work out how much alcohol is in it. Use the following calculator:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/calculators.php?sid=8cb0b9882a695b86ad4d548c8fdbf696#ABV

Remember this will still keep brewing in the bottles so best taking your second reading as your drinking it.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 17:07:31 »
I put 20 litres of this brew on following the bbc link, I doubled everything - I hope this doesn't cause any problems:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A593363

Specific Gravity is 1040, I'll be able to calculate its true strength when I crack open the first bottle.

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 18:32:35 »
Here's one for ye..........although Im sure its not new.

I followed a hodgepodge of recipies to make my Elderflower Champagne.

After 2 days there was no sign of fermentation, so I added a bit bread yeast....... started fizzing by the next morning.

After 5 days in the bucket (3 days fizzing) I 4/5'ths bottled in recycled plastic Sprite bottles and by the next morning it bottles were expanded and the brew fizzing away.

This is day 6 after bottling and most of the bottles have a lot of sediment in them. Im guessing that its the yeast/anything my 2 layers of muslin didnt filter, but those of you experienced in such things....... IS THAT WHAT IT IS?

I hear of recipies with such "gunk" turning gelatinous in the glass after being poured. ???

Anyone able and willing to allay my fears that its not contaminated and undrinkable?

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 18:34:14 by killerflies »

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:03 »
Yes the sediment will be yeast, it will need racking off.

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 18:58:08 »

Thanks for that! I was pretty sure that was it. No chance of racking off now as it is bottled, but at least I say with authority what it is.

Beir bua!

Yes the sediment will be yeast, it will need racking off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal