Author Topic: RSPB letter to govt (please sign )  (Read 2506 times)

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
Re: RSPB letter to govt (please sign )
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 10:41:46 »
Hi I am not sure if this is a genuine letter, I am wondering why it asks for my address, tel no, Email, sorry too much information has to be given, need to be careful on the net these days.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:14:02 »
It is genuine.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:31:45 »
Seems to be more of a marketing device than anything - aimed at reaping lots of names and addresses for future fundraising.  Not that it is a bad cause but Ill think I'll pass..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:34:35 »
apparently they send you a  free brochure,which will have a form asking if you wish to become a member i presume.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17:57 »
Why don't Twitters stick to what they are suppose to do and spot birds, ;)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 14:09:09 »
http://www.rspb.org.uk/lettertothefuture/index.asp?source=LTFITH0010

RSPB is a bit of a fascist organisation, isn't it?  Brooks no dissent and all that.

Which is why they haven't spotted that the ad goes way over the top.  There was no need to photoshop the "adorable moppet" so that her eyes are quite so big.  And I defy anyone to read aloud the words, "I don't know what boom and butht meanth.  I dutht want there to be wainfoweth and thpawwowth when I gwow up" without feeling slightly queasy.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 17:55:10 »
I've always had a problem with the RSPB - ecology is really important, and many birds are indicative of a healthy ecosystem - but they are far less important than overall biodiversity. On the other hand, if you save the habitat for birds, everything else gets to live there too... but I think yes, they are a bit totalitarian!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:38:09 »
On the other hand, if you save the habitat for birds, everything else gets to live there too
That's why I support them, though I do value the birds aswell.  As an organisation I'd rank them much higher than the National Trust.

But the ad is cringe-worthy.  They'd be better presenting the issues rationally, because I don't give a s**t about doe-eyed sprogs.  I'm not sure why they're getting involved really - I've recently tried to get support from their web site against secondary poisoning of red kites with rat poison and the disturbance to nesting birds from hedge trimming in the nesting season - core RSPB issues - and they're pretty low-key about that, so although I welcome them becoming more militant, they shouldn't forget what they're about.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:40:42 by Unwashed »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 22:10:17 »
Since when did they become a political force ? A bunch of oxygen theives that are only interested in furthering their own pockets.

R.S.Protection of Birds that is what it says on the tin  >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal