Author Topic: Blueberry Thief  (Read 1572 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Blueberry Thief
« on: July 03, 2009, 21:56:23 »
I built cages for our blueberries which seemed to work well until a catbird managed to get in, how I couldn't figure out. After freeing him, later on there were TWO catbirds in the cage feasting.  I freed them and saw the lid covered with bird netting had a hole in it which I fixed. Later on I watched from a distance and saw them standing on the lid and pecking and pulling on that netting tryiing to make another hole. So now the cages are covered also with Remay and if that doesn't work- bring on the electricity!!! :P
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Blueberry Thief
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 22:06:05 »
When I read your posts, I keep going A CATBIRD A CATBIRD!! Oh God, what's that? Something else to worry about.! And then I realise You're Not From Round These Parts  :D

some of us have never recovered from seeing those foot long caterpillars eating those tomatoes of yours  :D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 22:23:37 »
What is a catbird?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:03:11 »
Click on this if you want to hear a catbird's song (or look up another bird's song):

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?allSpecies=y&searchText=catbird

Rhubarb Heather, we had to laugh at your post, so funny!  :D  and we agree the Tomato Worms are gross!  But maybe better than tomato blight which we have heard is in the US though so far, not in our garden (I hope, I hope) but growers are destroying their plants in some areas.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:41:59 »
Thanks for the link Purple Heather.  I have downloaded a picture of it.

Grannie Annie, I listened to its song but thought it sounded more like a thrush than a cat so maybe the name is based on its appearance.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:21:27 »
Good one, Pauline  :D   LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal