Author Topic: Neighbours  (Read 3096 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Neighbours
« on: July 04, 2009, 22:54:40 »
On my birthday I received a card from my next door neighbour, 'Thank you for being my dear neighbour, for all the years together, and to the future'.  Brought tears to my eyes.  We have lived next door for 26 years now, seen her children grow up and mine.  We had to tell the boys off when OH was using a power tool and the little ones were helping him but Mum didn't mind as it was dangerous.  I heard them through the bedroom wall late one night and thought her husband was murdering her as the screaming was so loud, knocked on the door to see if she was OK and they were watching a late night horror film on TV.  Lucky I didn't call the police.  One day my poor old Mum was sitting in my garden and next door didn't know and she soaked her with the hose.  We laugh about it now.  My children used to play loud music and now her children do, but who cares.  She feeds my cat when I go away and I feed hers.  I feel sorry for people that don't get on with their neighbours.  Now the naughty little boy looks after me and calls me Auntie, but when he forgets his keys to his house I charge him £5 a time to borrow the keys I have of their house (not really, but I think he owes me over £60 now).  Have had lovely barbeques and Christmas dinners at their house, they come from Corfu and we have been offered free holidays there.  Happy days.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Neighbours
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 23:00:21 »
Borlotti, your posts like this one are a breath of fresh air.  I'm almost tempted to try for that lottie plot next too you, reckon we'd have a laugh.  :)  Is it off Donkey Lane?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 23:32:29 »
It is the site where Joe Swift has his allotment, off Craddock Road, Sketty Road, which is off Southbury Road, nearer to Enfield before you get to the Leisure Centre/ cinema and backs on to Enfield Playing Fields.  The people there are very nice and friendly. Today I saw Ken put a bowl of water outside his door which is near the playing fields and a notice on it for the dogs.  Hope the dogs can read.  His front garden is small (like mine) and the next door front garden and his won a prize last year (for small gardens) and I am tempted to try myself next year, but will have to get OH to mend the wall, and grow more flowers.  At present I have peppers and tomatoes as it is very sunny out the front.  We live next door to A10 double glazing so that is a bit unsightly, so am thinking about putting up a trellace to hide that view.  I am near the Lincoln Pub so can cycle to the allotment through the park, into Southbury Road and then Craddock Road.  Think there is a waiting list for allotment on the site but you are welcome to come and have a look, I am often there, but can let you in if you let me know and what to have a look around.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 21:28:03 »
It is the site where Joe Swift has his allotment, off Craddock Road, Sketty Road, which is off Southbury Road, nearer to Enfield before you get to the Leisure Centre/ cinema and backs on to Enfield Playing Fields.  The people there are very nice and friendly. Today I saw Ken put a bowl of water outside his door which is near the playing fields and a notice on it for the dogs.  Hope the dogs can read.  His front garden is small (like mine) and the next door front garden and his won a prize last year (for small gardens) and I am tempted to try myself next year, but will have to get OH to mend the wall, and grow more flowers.  At present I have peppers and tomatoes as it is very sunny out the front.  We live next door to A10 double glazing so that is a bit unsightly, so am thinking about putting up a trellace to hide that view.  I am near the Lincoln Pub so can cycle to the allotment through the park, into Southbury Road and then Craddock Road.  Think there is a waiting list for allotment on the site but you are welcome to come and have a look, I am often there, but can let you in if you let me know and what to have a look around.

Well, I knew there'd be a waiting list but thanks for the kind offer of a tour.  I've always said I'd only have an allotment if there was one within walking distance and sadly where I am, there isn't (well not with a load of tools etc).  It'd probably take me about 30 minutes to get to your site on foot (I could cut through the Willow Estate) which is a tad too far in my book after a day's work etc.  Shame.  :(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 21:31:46 »
I worked for 8 years in the City and 15 years near Victoria and only took on the allotment when I retired.  Gave up my car and got a bike.  No way could I have had an allotment whilst working as often didn't get home until 7/8 pm and even later on Friday after drinks at the pub.  Retirement is great, but not enough hours in the day to do everything, love it, and the allotment was the best thing I did.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 21:36:47 »
I worked for 8 years in the City and 15 years near Victoria and only took on the allotment when I retired.  Gave up my car and got a bike.  No way could I have had an allotment whilst working as often didn't get home until 7/8 pm and even later on Friday after drinks at the pub.  Retirement is great, but not enough hours in the day to do everything, love it, and the allotment was the best thing I did.

Something I'm looking forward to I must admit.  I work in Westminster and whilst I love our great city, I don't care for the two hours plus travelling each day.  It's much worse at this time of the year when I just long to be in the garden rather than on a hot and crowded tube/train.

G x
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 21:41:28 by Georgie »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 16:20:13 »
Can't be long until your retirment now Georgie,  :o   :-* I will deffo get over to see your lottie one weekend Borlotti.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 20:32:43 »
Can't be long until your retirment now Georgie,  :o   :-*

Ruddy cheek!   ;D

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal