Author Topic: Vinegar  (Read 30250 times)

powerspade

• Hectare
Re: Vinegar
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 05:27:09 »
My wife used a mixture of olive oil and a dash of vinegar on her tum when she was pregnant result no stretch marks

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 06:39:01 »
Vinegar is good for softening burnt food in saucepans.

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 23:17:59 »
Vinegar is also great for taking the sting out of sunburn - you smell like a chip, but a couple of tablespoons in cool bath water takes a lot of the pain away.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 21:46:42 »
I have had a problem with tenants letting their dogs use our garage floor as a toilet :o(

Apparently, vinegar will neutralise the smell. I am trying it and will report in on any successes  :blob7: failures  :tongue3:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:54 »
Rub it on your taps or stainless steel sink, to descale and shine them.
Mix half a cup of vinegar with about a cup of water and boil it in your kettle: all the limescale will come off (same for a coffeemaker).
To stop funny smells in the drains, block all airways then put a tablespoon of bicarb down the drain, followed by a quarter of a cup of vinegar and quickly block up the plug. Leave to work for about 10 minutes then pour some boiling water down. Removes the greasy film off the inside of the drainage pipe.
It is disinfectant so you can also use it, slightly diluted, to wipe down work tops, door handles etc. Cheaper than chemicals.
If your towels are getting stiff, put a cup of vinegar in the rinsing water (put it in the fabric softener hole) - it removes the excess soap which tends to make them stiff. You can also put some in soaking water to remove any type of sweat/urine smell from fabric (e.g sports gear).
I always have a bottle in the cupboard!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 12:22:16 »
I buy gallons of the stuff very cheaply from a Chinese supermarket (See Woo in Greenwich) and use it for lots of cleaning jobs. I also use it to make flavoured vinegar (raspberry, blackberry etc) for salads and gravies.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 17:55:06 »
Well, a few weeks after treating the dog urine and poop smell on my concrete floor, I have a conclusion.....

The vinegar smell was quite unpleasant for a while, probably because I used so much :icon_shaking2:.

Now, there is a faint vinegar smeel but no yucky smell.  :hello2:

Therefore, I conclude that white vinegar is the saviour of my concrete floor. :wav:

I think I'll give it another wash down with Zoflora now, as I know the nasty smells have gone, so a floral one will be nice and Iknow it's not just masking a nasty smell  :blob7:

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 16:28:12 »
...and I have just noticed Jeannine's question about how many people make their own. I made some a few months ago from apple peelings and am just making some more. Not as strong tasting as commercial vinegar, but more or less free using own apples and water and a "mother-of-vinegar" I found at the bottom of my See Woo giant container when I finally emptied it.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2014, 17:11:39 »
Good to see another See-Woo shopper on here!  I have just run out of fish sauce and a few other staples so I might do a run at the weekend.  I always go in for a couple of things and end up with bags and bags of the stuff..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 16:18:41 »
My kettle got covered in limescale  inside ,no matter how much washing I gave it ,the limescale never went away properly! I ended bying a £5 kettle from Asda and filled the old kettle up with vinegar for a week, the vinegar worked a treat but also my £5 kettle was faster boiling ,didn't wake the dead up when boiling! so much for the £80 kettle never again :BangHead: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal