Author Topic: Vinegar  (Read 30254 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Vinegar
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 22:12:24 »
well I use it to wash some of my veg - particularly last year when the brassicas got well and truly attacked by white fly. I found the only way of cleaning them off was adding some vinegar to water to soak them in

1066  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 16:52:28 »
I put bicarb in the sink drains and pour vinegar in, it cleans the pipe really well

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 18:16:29 »
its o/k on chips as well    ;D ;D ;D ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 12:25:28 »
You can read this book on the uses of vinegar online.

http://www.vinegarbook.net/

Tricia

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 20:54:58 »
i use white vinegar to soften dds nappies, cant use fabric softener on them as it stops them being so absorbent, i also use it in a spray bottle with either lavender or tea tree to get rid of cat pee smells, uc if u use normal cleaners they often have amonia and n the cat smells that n thinks it needs 2 reapply its own special pong, but the white vinegars meant 2 neatralise the smell?? bicarbs another kitchen wonder.... sounds like a vinegar fan club, lol!  :D
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 14:53:05 »
Yes, when I was about 10 years old  my Dad walked 4 miles to the nearest shop to get malt vinigar and margarine for my sunburn, it worked.  You are the first person that I have come across to agree.  Glad I did not imagine it.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 19:11:58 »
Well the youngest had got sunburn when she attended a fete the other week and yes you gust it she had vinegar put on the burn to ease the pain and aid recovery. Lucky she had no burst blisters or I would not put it on.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 21:54:17 »
i use white vinegar as fabric softener and i unblocked the shower with sodium bicarbonate followed by vinegar. my grandmother would put vinegar on insect bites and if anyone had a cough 'you need some cider vinegar' for that, maybe the cider would have done more good!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 22:14:07 »
Oh yes, on a bite for sure. I have an itch stick that had ammonia in it originally, I can take the tiny cap off and refill it with vinegar. I have another one still with ammonia. I find sometimes that vinegar works better on some bites and ammonia on others.

I clean glass with it too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:23 »
My gran used to say vinegar was good for wasps stings.

Alison x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 06:44:43 »
Yes always put some in the water when cleaning windows and in the days when we used real wax polish on furniture Mother in law would periodically use vinegar on her furniture to remove old polish then start all over again!! When we kept pigs and the weather was very hot a very experienced "pig man" told us to wipe vinegar across the sows heads.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 09:55:53 »
my gran always said, lemon juice for fair hair and vinegar for dark, supposed to rinse your hair in it, I'm sure I tried it when I was younger, probably smelled like a bag of chips  ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 15:28:56 »
I have an itch stick that had ammonia in it originally,

Ok. I have to ask. What is an itch stick??? ( I assume for itching things, but this sounds like an impressive professional jobbie ;D

c x

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:09 »
TRy a dessert spoon of bicarb down yr plug holes and then pour a drop of vinegar in .It will froth up and clean the pipes takes odours away also.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 21:43:19 »
Just out of curiosity how many of you make your own ?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 22:50:39 »
vinigar for wasp stings and bicarb for bee stings,
also if you fill up the windscreen bottle of the car put half a cup of vinigar in it. cleans the grease off the windscreens quicker and it does not freeze in the winter so I have been told.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 10:13:05 »
I always use vinegar to clean the windows and mirrors and also use it to clean the rabbits litter tray. It gets the limescale off.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:17:22 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 11:15:45 »
My mother always swore by vinegar to prevent nits.  She was a teacher and said she never once had them.   It did not work for my daughter though, as soon as anyone in the school had nits she had them as well. 

Vinegar in the rinsing water is great for preventing fungus infections such as athlete foot and nappy rash, and prevents mould from forming on damp walls and around windows.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 12:47:02 »
I put bicarb in the sink drains and pour vinegar in, it cleans the pipe really well

Yes it is brilliant for drains, also if you soak a sponge, put it in a plastic bag and then attach it to taps holding it on with lacky bands, works on shower heads too...I leave it on for about 30 mins. :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 13:46:00 »
Oh yes, on a bite for sure. I have an itch stick that had ammonia in it originally, I can take the tiny cap off and refill it with vinegar. I have another one still with ammonia. I find sometimes that vinegar works better on some bites and ammonia on others.

I clean glass with it too.

XX Jeannine

Some bites and stings are acid based so ammonia works and some alkaline to vinegar works...supposedly neutralises the sting or it at least feels better. However don't get it wrong like my mother did to me causing a very bad reaction. Better to use an antihistan cream or tablet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal