Author Topic: perrenial weeds & seeds  (Read 2626 times)

Hector

• Hectare
perrenial weeds & seeds
« on: July 04, 2009, 15:03:54 »
I've been reading posts about soaking under water in a bucket...as I have somany of these blasted weeds..can I put in a big water but and leave to soak? If so, how long between "addings" can I use the liquid without fear of seeds still being alive?
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
Re: perrenial weeds & seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 21:28:25 »
Anyone  ;D   I want to clear a pile of perrenial weeds I've dug up tomorrow  ;D
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 21:44:15 »
Not convinced that the weed tea method is so good if they have reached the seed stage,  I make nettle tea, but rather regretted a batch containing flowers. 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 21:51:36 »
Hi Hector. I've just googled, making liquid feed from garden weeds. Put them in a bucketof water, weigh them down. Leave for a month & then the weeds can go on the compost heap or bin & you are left with the liquid which I presume you dilute.
Good luck with the digging or is it azadaing ;D ;D ;D.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:12:25 »
I am getting too old for this digging out jungle lark :)  I will soak in a bucket then add to my liquid feed butt.

I was wondering if this soaking definitely bumps off seed hads as lots of the grasses have seed heads on them. Does this kill couch roots?
Jackie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 22:07:13 »
It'll kill couch. Not that I bother, they never seem to survive a winter in the compost bins.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 22:10:54 »
Thanks Robert  :)
Jackie

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 23:03:34 »
I use bindweed as a liquid feed after drowning the d**n stuff for a  few weeks, The blueberries and french beans seem to love the feed.

In different dustbins I "develop" comfrey and nettle teas(silly word to use..)and the dilute these to use on pretty much everything else that produces something.

After around 6 months whatever is in the dustbin goes on the compost heap.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 23:05:04 »
If you knock off the soil there's almost nothing will survive on the compost heap, especially if you scorch it for a couple of days in the kind of sun we've just had.  Composting seems to kill most seeds too.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 07:20:29 »
We have a border full of bindweed, so bad we've had to take plants out & just left the shrubs. Could we use the roots for a liquid feed would it smell. We do have a spare lidded dustbin.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 08:23:59 »
I don't think that bindweek dies in the compost bin.  On the contrary it seems to go on a take over bid.  Yes Grannyjanny it does smell but not as bad as comfrey.  Mine got so bad that much to my great shame and after 23 weedkiller free years, resorted to roundup.  Have to admit it has done a marvellous job.  Only sprayed three patches and it has died almost all over the garden, only a couple of patches left.  On a recommendation I packed it into a plastic bag and sprayed into it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 11:48:24 »
I've put bindweed in the bins year after year, and only had problems once. That was the first year, when some of the roots were absolutely gynormous. All I had to do was pick the stuff out and put it round a second time.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 12:21:15 »
All our bindweed is gynormous.  Up to a wheelbarrow full per couple of square metres.  I just end up with a bin bursting with living bindweed.  Have not tried it with a plastic type bin, presume lack of light will kill them, too much trouble if they do grow to give it a try.   

[/quote]was pick the stuff out[/quote]

You only have to miss one bit and its the mother of another millions yards of the stuff.

It was great when we had a rabbit, it loved the stuff but only dried.  It turned it into fertilizer in record time no smelly buckets.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 13:24:10 »
Its certain all long as the plant material is under the surface of the water - it will die and aftter three months or so  the tea is free plant food

unless the weeds are out of the pond that is!!

bury the debris in the bottom of your bean trench -

useful tip to make sure the weeds stay under the water is to use black refuse sack filled with water as the lid!!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 19:42:58 »
I don't think that bindweek dies in the compost bin.
My compost heap's just four pallets tied together and nothing survives.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 14:44:24 »
if there are loads of weeds, like when I dig over for planting, I seal them in a bin bag and put them out in the sun or in a corner of the shed. After a few weeks, they are rotten then I toss 'em on the compost. I couldn't tell if the bindweed comes back from the compost anyway, the whole plot is covered in the bloody stuff. I don't think it would make much difference.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal