Author Topic: No rainwater for blueberries  (Read 9852 times)

amphibian

Re: No rainwater for blueberries
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 08:53:36 »
Can't you drive down and get some?

I don't need any, I've got rain water, it was last year I used tap water. The plants have only shown the chlorosis this year.

What about the Tunbrdge Wells?

The Wells are chalybeate springs, very rich in iron and soft, I suppose they'd be excellent water for blueberries which suffer from Iron deficiency very easily.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 13:11:44 »
what about cheap stores own bottled water til you can get some rain/river water etc would that be any good???? i know some supermarkets charge around 13 fot 2 litres
dont know if its any good though

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 14:14:39 »
what about cheap stores own bottled water til you can get some rain/river water etc would that be any good???? i know some supermarkets charge around 13 fot 2 litres
dont know if its any good though

My dad uses it for lots of his houseplants - living near Portsmouth in a flat, it's the easiest way to keep them alive.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 21:41:45 »
Thank you everyone for the replies.  I managed to persuade my parents to give me some (they are very anti fruit growing in small gardens like mine, so didn't want to).

I think I will buy a water filter for future use.

The only bad thing is that one of the bushes has got shrivelled fruit - are these a right off or might they survive?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 08:08:15 »
Ha, good old parents! A normal filtering jug wouldn't change the pH... or do you mean a water softener?

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 11:44:51 »
Ha, good old parents
Not really they only helped 'cos otherwise I would start using the condenser dryer again which is less environmentally friendly than the line.  If I had a normal dryer they would not have helped.

Ha, good old parents! A normal filtering jug wouldn't change the pH... or do you mean a water softener?
I mean one of these :-
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8422271/Trail/searchtext%3EWATER+FILTER.htm

That should remove the hardness, shouldn't it?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 13:03:26 »
Only joking about the parents! I don't think that jug will alter the hardness, I think activated charcoal will remove chlorine and possibly nitrates, but that's about it...

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 13:27:25 »
Only joking about the parents! I don't think that jug will alter the hardness, I think activated charcoal will remove chlorine and possibly nitrates, but that's about it...
I think it will according to :-
http://www.hardwater.org/water_treatment.html

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 13:36:29 »
I think it will according to :-
http://www.hardwater.org/water_treatment.html

Can't open it over here... Hmm, where's baccy man, he always knows these things... My logic is that I have activated charcoal in my fish tank & it doesn't alter the pH, just mops up the crud... delighted to be corrected though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal