Author Topic: Roundup question  (Read 3218 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Roundup question
« on: June 29, 2009, 06:54:39 »
One of our plotholders has sprayed along the boundary of his plot with Roundup but some of it seems to have affected his neighbour's plants.

The neighbour told me that Roundup travels down the plant to the roots (I think that's correct) but he thinks it can then transfer by touching the roots of any nearby plant and kill that one too.  He never uses it himself and is very worried about the effect it has on the environment.

Is it possible that Roundup can *jump* from root to root?

He is so worried about it that he has dug up a beautiful goosberry bush and is throwing it away because he thinks the Roundup has transferred to the roots.  I saw the bush yesterday (and so did Shirl) and it looked fine to me although I know that Roundup takes some days to work.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Roundup question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:04:29 »
I wouldn't have thought so, as the moisture in the soil only travels into the root, not back out again.
It affecting nearby plants is probably down to the spray blowing across from the sprayed area.

I'm sure an expert will be along in a minute.

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:22:24 »
It is more likely to be wind borne. Even on still days the minute droplets will float a distance. Each droplet will be full of a herbicide that will affect a plant it lands on.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:55:05 »
The plant I saw was perfect. The goosegogs were like bloomin plums. I wouldn't have cut it down if it were mine. Ower Tone wanted to pick em(as he does). The guys plot is like a chocolate box . Not a weed in site. Everything in dead straight lines. I bet the plants even have to grow to the same height. I didn't think that round up could go from root to root. If it did then why is it that when you spray a field of docks you can see the individual plants that you've missed. I think that perhaps the chappie is very protective of his plot (nothing wrong in that) but he should have waited for signs of the goosegog dying before he destroyed it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:31:19 »
Glyphosate does not travel from root to root. It quickly becomes inactive when in contact with the soil especially at this time of year with warmer temperatures.

Even the spray drift that lands on nearby plants is rarely enough to kill. You need to properly wet most plant foliage for glyphosate to work.

Depending on how soon after his neighbour sprayed he could have sprayed down his plants with water and any glyphosate would have washed off.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 22:41:54 »
A completely loony theory and nonsensically followed.  I`d go back immediately and pick all those luscious gooseberries before someone else does.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 22:48:26 »
I have just been round all our site and sprayed all our paths with Round-Up.  It was sprayed close to the ground when passing individual plots,  I did not spray the paths in areas where plotholders had veg/fruit/flowers along the boundaries.  In thick overgrowth, I sprayed the nozzle deep inside and around the areas.  At all times I did consider peoples plots when using it,  if there was any doubt about some crops then I gave the edge of that plot a miss.

At all times,  plotholders should always consider the effects of chemicals if used close to neighbouring plots.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 23:30:18 »
no one gets the chance to garden organically on your site, then!!
You couldn't make it up!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 23:53:31 »
I have just been round all our site and sprayed all our paths with Round-Up.  It was sprayed close to the ground when passing individual plots,  I did not spray the paths in areas where plotholders had veg/fruit/flowers along the boundaries.  In thick overgrowth, I sprayed the nozzle deep inside and around the areas.  At all times I did consider peoples plots when using it,  if there was any doubt about some crops then I gave the edge of that plot a miss.

At all times,  plotholders should always consider the effects of chemicals if used close to neighbouring plots.
As you were spraying public areas rather than the land you rent (your plot) I hope you have PA1 and PA6 certificates.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 23:56:17 »

As you were spraying public areas rather than the land you rent (your plot) I hope you have PA1 and PA6 certificates.
i didn't want to start that discussion!! (I hold both of those tickets, and am aware of my responsibilities in law)
ignorance of the law is not an excuse in court, btw!
You couldn't make it up!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 05:37:29 »
Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

I know that the thought of Roundup 'jumping' from root to root is mad, but the chap I was talking to is absolutely convinced it can happen.  As Shirl has said, his plot is immaculate with not a weed in sight and all his crops are growing really well.  If anyone else had told me this about Roundup I would not have given it a second thought but because it was him, I was concerned.

Anyway, I've passed the problem on to our Chairman (lucky man) as I'm going to my son's new house for a few days.  He has just moved to Harpenden in Herts and guess what - there are allotments in the next road!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:24:35 »
I was born and bred in Harpenden. It isn't the coldharbour allotments is it?  Superb location. When I lived there it had a licenced club house. (My mum was secretary, and my next door neighbour but one was chairman).  A river runs through it (lol) meaning the soil is light alluvial (is that the right word?) rich and fertile. Apart from the risk of flooding it's a lovely place. It's not likely though as Harpenden has over a dozen allotment sites. Lovely place Harpenden.

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

I know that the thought of Roundup 'jumping' from root to root is mad, but the chap I was talking to is absolutely convinced it can happen.  As Shirl has said, his plot is immaculate with not a weed in sight and all his crops are growing really well.  If anyone else had told me this about Roundup I would not have given it a second thought but because it was him, I was concerned.

Anyway, I've passed the problem on to our Chairman (lucky man) as I'm going to my son's new house for a few days.  He has just moved to Harpenden in Herts and guess what - there are allotments in the next road!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 08:00:07 »
I was born and bred in Harpenden. It isn't the coldharbour allotments is it?  Superb location. When I lived there it had a licenced club house. (My mum was secretary, and my next door neighbour but one was chairman).  A river runs through it (lol) meaning the soil is light alluvial (is that the right word?) rich and fertile. Apart from the risk of flooding it's a lovely place. It's not likely though as Harpenden has over a dozen allotment sites. Lovely place Harpenden.

Yes, that's the one - what a small world!
I'll tell my son, he is so pleased that there are allotments just around the corner. Once he has sorted his house out I'm sure he will be enquiring about a plot.
I've been to Harpenden a few times with him while he was house hunting and it is lovely. The houses are very expensive though, compared to Birmingham.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 08:41:53 »
Have a good time Betty
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 08:47:08 »
Have a good time Betty

Thanks Shirl :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 13:06:41 »

My understanding from the town council is that because it is their land, I am to spray it as part of the role of allotment supervisor which I took on 2 months ago.  I am not aware of the PA1 and PA6 so maybe they are not neither.  I have re-read the Job specification again, and it does not mention them 2 certificates.  So as not to hijack the thread, could you PM me with more detail so I can look into this a bit more before I approach the town council on this matter.  (Gotta cover your ass these days) ::) ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tonybloke

• Hectare
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal